wood movement question

Old 03-09-03, 10:21 PM
ccarruth
Visiting Guest
wood movement question

I have built the core of a worktable from laminted oak flooring (remilled), and have three questions I really would like some feedback on:

1) As these strips are laminated vertically (face on face), do I need to worry about leaving room for seasonal movement when attaching breadboard ends?

2) Given the core is laminated strips, are breadboard ends even necessary? Using some lag bolts straight into the ends, without creating a tenon/mortar type joint, would be much easier.

3) As I was working with minimal power tools, some of the boards came out crowned, and I ended up with some gaps between sections of some boards. What is the best way to rememdy the gaps:
- find a "liquid"wood product I can pour in and then sand or route off
- Jigsaw the gaps larger and insert wood strips to fill the gaps?
-leave it

Old 03-10-03, 04:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds as if you have a heck of a work table.

1. Allow for movement. Attach the breadboard ends in the middle.

2. If the ends are glued together, just leave them. I have built a work table from face glued 2x4 fir and just left it. It worked fine for 10 years before I gave it away in order to move.

3. It is a work table. I would leave the irregularities and plane the surface flat with a hand plane. A good coat of varnish and maintenance with Johnsons floor wax would help keep splinters to a minimum and keep stuff from sticking to the top too badly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: