Looking to stain Oak veneer plywood..HELP

Old 03-17-03, 08:51 AM
rdefino
Visiting Guest
Looking to stain Oak veneer plywood..HELP

Hi all,

I have about 22 sheets of Oak plywood that I will be using for my walls. I would like to get a reddish look to it. Can any one recommend a good stain to use and if I should use a poly or a semi or high gloss. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by rdefino; 03-17-03 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-17-03, 06:47 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would use an aniline dye because it is fast to use and gives uniform results without muddying the look of the wood as pigmented stains usually do. A semi-gloss lacquer would follow up well. It is fast to build and would bear up under the wear a wall such as this would receive. If you spray, you could have this done in a day.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-03, 06:05 AM
rdefino
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I never used aniline dye's before, Are they easy to use, and where would I go to get them?

Thanks again

Old 03-18-03, 09:22 PM
C
I buy mine via mail order. Large specialty shops such as Rockler and Woodcraft carry them. You may have such a place in your town.

They can be mixed with water or alcohol for speed of drying. Although the water dries fast enough. They are easy to control for color depth and matching.

Old 03-21-03, 08:44 PM
jeepers
Visiting Guest
stain

You do know that you need to use some filler first?

Veneer will usually blotch if you do not.

Old 03-21-03, 08:55 PM
I don't believe oak veneered plywood for walls will need any filler.
If you mean grain filler, then definitely no. This won't be fine furniture. Oak doesn't normally blotch like soft pine.
Any stain on oak WILL highlight grain, it's the nature of the oak grain to begin with.

Rdefino, if you have spray equipment then Chfite's suggestion is an option. If you don't want to spray then use a wipe-on poly.
The gloss, semi-gloss, or satin finish will be your choice. Test a piece first to decide.

fred

Old 03-22-03, 04:43 AM
rdefino
Visiting Guest
fewalt, Thanks for the response. What is wipe on poly and it used like sounds, you wipe it on. I'll check out the woodworkers site for the product. If you have certain produnt in mind, I would love to know. Thanks
Ron

Old 03-22-03, 05:36 AM
Yes sir, just about as it sounds. Minwax makes three or four varieties, you can find them at Lowes/HD or even some larger hardware stores. You use a soft cotton rag and can almost saturate it and wipe on the finish.

And, if you know exactly what you want in a finish, you can thin regular polyurethanes (20 to 50%) with mineral spirits. There are also some wipe-on tung oil finishes, but most are actually polys also. They use the term tung oil very loosely.
For walls, a couple coats is probably all you will need.

fred

Old 03-22-03, 06:14 AM
rdefino
Visiting Guest
I have the Minwax Fast-drying Polyurethane clear satin, can this be used as a rub on poly.

thanks

Old 03-22-03, 06:21 AM
If it's water-base, NO.
If it's oil base --- YES

Pour some in a clean container, thin with mineral spirits, mix well, and give it a test.
But remember, you've got 22 sheets to do, and if the fast-dry is more expensive than regular poly, you'd be wasting $$$.
worth a try though,

good luck,
fred

Old 03-26-03, 02:07 PM
rdefino
Visiting Guest
HI,

Well I got some of the aniline dye's and they seem nice. Easy to work with. One question, After the mix dye cools and it's ready for use, could I add more powder to daken it up or is it to late once it cools.

thanks
Again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: