Building a Wood Column or Round Structure

Old 06-15-03, 03:10 PM
Madu
Visiting Guest
Building a Wood Column or Round Structure

I am in the process of building a kitchen island that has a cast iron (4 in.) structural post on one end, running from the drop-down ceiling to the floor. Plumbing pipes were run parallel to the post. To enclose the post and the plumbing runs, I am going to build a square base, about 14 in. sq. (w) & 36 in. (h), attached to the side of the island. Then, build a column from the top of the base to the drop-down ceiling (about 6 ft. high).

Any ideas on how to build a wood column, or any round structure that I can cover with wood or steel paneling!

I called several lumber places and the column size I am looking for, which must be at least 11 in. in diameter on the inside to accommodate the post and plumbing runs, has to be special ordered. This takes 4-6 weeks and will be costly.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-03, 05:24 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One option that comes to mind is a Sonotube. This is used generically to describe the tubular forms used to pour concrete footings and pilings.

They come in 12 inch diameters, among others. I saw one 8 feet long listed, so the lengths must not be a problem.

They are durable, single use forms. I imagine that it would be the cheapest, quick way to get a column that you could cover with something decorative.

I would venture to say that you could find them at a building supply yard.

You can get plastic sewer pipe 12" in diameter, too.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-30-03, 08:28 AM
rdighe
Visiting Guest
Another options is to..

Build a octagonal column & then knock out hard edges with block plane to make it more rounded. you can use something like bords mouth router bit to make octagonal column or rip the angles on tablesaw

--Rajiv

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: