Coat Tree Finish

Old 06-26-03, 12:40 PM
Billyz
Visiting Guest
Coat Tree Finish

I'm completing a coat tree as a house-warming gift for a friend and I am curious as to which finish to use. I've used a combination of white and red oak and I'm thinking of using tung oil as a finish, however I've never worked with it before. Will the color of the wood basically remain the same after applying the tung oil?

I think what I would like most is something that will slightly "deepen" the colors. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Bill

Old 06-26-03, 03:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
100% pure tung oil will give remarkable clarity to the finishing of the two oaks. Many finishes and woods darken naturally over time. Some of the coloration of the wood will be heightened with an oil finish, but nothing that is not already there.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-26-03, 04:23 PM
Billyz
Visiting Guest
Hmm. . .so, if I undstand correctly, the tung oil will give the wood almost a "wet" (for lack of a better word) look. Though, not shiny. Is this correct?

So, I shouldn't really expect the tung oil to deepen the colors, that would be a product of time and age. . .

Maybe, I would be better off with a light stain??

Bill

Old 06-26-03, 04:39 PM
C
Yes, a wet look is a good term. The finish will give depth to the appearance of the piece. It won't darken the color of the wood upon application. Oak darkens on its own.

To stain or not, that is the question. It is up to you. Some prefer the natural colors of woods.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-26-03, 05:18 PM
Billyz
Visiting Guest
Yes, the "to stain, or not to stain" is the one that is really getting me Thanks for the info about oak darkening over time. I did not know that!

Thanks for your help!
Bill

Old 06-27-03, 09:43 AM
Billyz
Visiting Guest
Okay, just thought of another question. Can I use Briwax over tung oil (once it has dried, of course)? Or would this be a bad combo?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 06-27-03, 10:53 AM
C
Sure, it will keep it easy to clean.

Old 06-27-03, 12:50 PM
Billyz
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I've been using the Briwax on some of our antique furniture and it has really brought the pieces back to life!

Thanks for all of your help!
Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: