plywood vs. solid wood

Old 08-12-03, 09:32 PM
TKEcowboy
Visiting Guest
plywood vs. solid wood

Does sanded plywood look as good as solid pieces of wood that have been joined after it is finished? The biggest worry I have is that the finish of the entertainment center I build out of Pine plywood will not look as good as if I had used 12 inch Pine boards that are joined. Thanks.

Glenn

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-03, 05:50 AM
gordypoo
Visiting Guest
if you're talking about sanded ply rather than cabinet grade, my answer is no it won't look as good as solid joined wood, because sanded pine won't take the stain/finish very well. imo

Old 08-13-03, 06:31 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TKEcowboy,

Sanded plywood looks uneven and is difficult to achieve a flat surface. It takes stains in a most irregular fashion. Sanded plywood is more of a construction grade product.

If you want to use pine plywood, look for cabinet grade, if it exists. A better alternative is birch plywood. Once you get to the cabinet grade plywoods, you will find that price does not vary much between species. The technique for making cabinet grade plywood is different from the making of construction grade plywood.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-03, 12:32 PM
TKEcowboy
Visiting Guest
I may have misspoke. The shop here in Nashville that carries the wood I will use specializes in carrying wood for cabinet making. So it may be safe to assume that the Pine plywood they carry IS cabinet grade. The price he quoted me was $58 for a 4x8 sheet of knotty Pine, whereas I noticed the sanded birch plywood at Home Depot was only $32. I'll make sure to ask that question before I buy the wood.

Glenn

Old 08-13-03, 03:27 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The knotty pine may be more expensive. Check to make sure the birch is not shop grade or paint grade because the term 'sanded birch' is not what I expect cabinet grade wood to be called.

Knotty pine makes for nice furniture, but the look is intense with all the knots.

Hope this helps.