top tools for beginning woodworking?

Old 08-14-03, 01:42 PM
TKEcowboy
Visiting Guest
top tools for beginning woodworking?

If you guys had to make a list of 5 to 10 tools that are essential for getting started in woodworking, what would they be. I am developing a real love for woodworking, but don't want to rush out and start buying tools that I don't really need yet. I already have:

jigsaw
10" mitre saw
10" table saw
7" circular saw
power drill
battery powered drill
Dremel tool and bit set
plunge router
electric hand sander with 4" pad

Thanks.

Glenn

Old 08-14-03, 02:18 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Well, you already have a pretty good start. Guess it really depends on what you want to do. What you have will build a LOT of things.

But if you want to buy rough lumber and work it into finished items, a jointer and planer would be next on my list. Following that, I'd look a some more sanding equipment, like a belt sander and so on......

Like I said, it just really depends on how extensive you wanna get into it and what rate of production you're looking for....

Old 08-14-03, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts
If you have the space, I would add a regular router in a GOOD router table. Check rockler.com for some tables/components. Might also consider a small drill press and although it's not technically a "tool", a good workbench is a real plus.

Old 08-14-03, 06:09 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My next choice would be a random orbital sander. Then a dust collector. NR29 hearing protection. Router table. It is a good idea to plan your projects and buy tools for them.

Old 08-14-03, 09:57 PM
TKEcowboy
Visiting Guest
When it comes to dust collectors, are there devices that will connect to several different power tools, or do you have to buy a different unit for each tool? I am very ignorant when it comes to that subject.

Glenn

Old 08-15-03, 10:49 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a board that discusses dust collectors and has links to the most current developments.

http://talk.woodmagazine.com/default...ndex_html___33

Ideally, one has a single dust collector that connects to each or all the pieces, as the case may be. Many tools now have dust ports to connect to collectors. The dust that you are trying to control is the airborne dust.

This page is considered to be the most complete single site for information about dust collection.

http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworki...one/Index.html

Hope this helps.

Old 08-17-03, 11:27 AM
Rick 9
Visiting Guest
Don't forget a CNC router (hee hee)

Sorry, just kidding

Old 08-23-03, 08:14 AM
scott123
Visiting Guest
Re: top tools for beginning woodworking?

Originally posted by TKEcowboy
If you guys had to make a list of 5 to 10 tools that are essential for getting started in woodworking, what would they be. I am developing a real love for woodworking, but don't want to rush out and start buying tools that I don't really need yet. I already have:

jigsaw
10" mitre saw
10" table saw
7" circular saw
power drill
battery powered drill
Dremel tool and bit set
plunge router
electric hand sander with 4" pad

Thanks.

Glenn
personally my favorite tool in the workshop is the 10 inch radial arm saw the versatility of this saw is unmached. also think about your finishing tools such as planes and sanding tools, no matter how well you build your project if you can not finish it properly it will turn out unsatisfactory.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: