finishing kitchen wood counters

Old 10-02-03, 11:59 AM
goose
Visiting Guest
finishing kitchen wood counters

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could enlighten me on what options i have for treating wood counters that i have in my kitchen.

It appears to be unfinished, and when we purchased the home, the previous owners told us that upkeep would involve reapplication of butcher block oil. At least to me, it seems that this almost has to be a weekly event. I assume this is to keep it somewhat waterproof. Is this correct? Or is it simply for conditioning the wood?

So what I'm hoping for is a more lasting treatment to make the wood more waterproof yet have it safe (non-toxic?). The extent that food comes into contact with the surface is when we're laying out ingredients/veggies/fruits, etc. We don't actually cut on the counter itself.

I've read elsewhere about using pure tung oil but I'm not sure if that's actually what I should be looking at.

I don't even know what type of wood the counters are.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-03, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have been applying oil to the bare wood top, you will always have to apply oil to it. No finish will stick to an oiled surface. You could strip the top and sand off the wood that has oil in it. Then you could apply a durable finish, such as: paint or polyurethane.

Hope this helps.