Straight Edge When Ripping Board

Old 10-06-03, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Straight Edge When Ripping Board

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CUT A STRAIGHT EDGE WHEN RIPPING A BOARD THAT IS NOT STRAIGHT. I USED THE FENCE ON MY TABLE SAW AS A GUIDE CUTTING 1/2" OFF AT THE TIME TRYING TO GET THE STRAIGHT CUT BUT NEVER DID.I AM NOT EXPERIENCED WITH WOOD WORKING BUT TRY TO TAKE UP WOOD WORKING AS A HOBBY. I HAVE PURCHASED A NEW DELTA 10" TABLE SAW & YESTERDAY WAS THE FIRST TIME I HAD TRIED TO RIP A PC OF PLYWOOD OR ANY BOARDS.ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE.
THANKS--MCCOY

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-03, 11:16 AM
If you don't have a straight edge on the board, the fence itself won't help much. Attach a straight board to the the target board and run it through the saw with the straight board against the fence, and make a straight cut edge. Dismount the accessory board and proceed. Some use double face tape to attach the accessory board.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-06-03, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by chfite
If you don't have a straight edge on the board, the fence itself won't help much. Attach a straight board to the the target board and run it through the saw with the straight board against the fence, and make a straight cut edge. Dismount the accessory board and proceed. Some use double face tape to attach the accessory board.

Hope this helps.
I REALLY DO APPRECIATE THIS ADVICE & IT WILL HELP ME.
THANKS--MCCOY

Old 10-08-03, 11:07 AM
rdighe
Visiting Guest
If you do get serious with woodworking as a hobby, you will eventualy need a jointer. for now, pickup a sheet of plywood. rip a 12" wide and 8' long piece out of it. factory edge on a plywood is fairly straight. now you can clamp the board that you want to straighten on this piece of plywood so that it overhangs a bit on one side. keep one edge of plywood against fence & set your fence 12" away. rip the board & you will have straight edge. on one side.

--Rajiv

Old 10-09-03, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by rdighe
If you do get serious with woodworking as a hobby, you will eventualy need a jointer. for now, pickup a sheet of plywood. rip a 12" wide and 8' long piece out of it. factory edge on a plywood is fairly straight. now you can clamp the board that you want to straighten on this piece of plywood so that it overhangs a bit on one side. keep one edge of plywood against fence & set your fence 12" away. rip the board & you will have straight edge. on one side.

--Rajiv

THIS I WILL DO SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD WAY TO GET A STRAIGHT CUT. THANKS--MCCOY

Old 10-09-03, 09:34 AM
Try this, it has worked great for me. It is the same concept as what the others have talked about, but very simple to use.

Tru-Grip FT8TS 8' Tru-Grip Pro FTR Series
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=553160