Circular Rocking Platform

Old 10-28-03, 10:03 PM
sleepyfloyd
Visiting Guest
Circular Rocking Platform

Okay.... I saw something like this when I was a kid in cub scouts and I was hoping someone had plans to make it or suggestions on some of the dimensions.

For want of a better name/descriptor, I'd like to make some Circular Jousting Platforms on rockers.. .

let me describe what they are used for...

You make two of them and set them about 8 feet apart.. then one person stands on each one.. and using long poles with a padded ends, you try to push/knock the other person off there platform. (similar to American Gladiators)

Each platform is circular and has rockers on the bottom so that they can rock and lean in any direction..

I think they were made up from a circular top, about 2 feet in diameter.. and the rockers on the bottom were half ovals 2 feet long. The curved sides were faced down and the interlocked in the middle so that they made an symmetrical cross when viewed from above. The circular platform was then screwed into the flat top of the cross.. Does that make sense?

Anyway.. my problem is I need to know the curvature of the rockers. If its too rounded, it will be too unstable to stand on.. If its too flat.. they will be too stable to be any fun.. I guess the curvature is in some ways defined by the height of the platform itself..

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-03, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is a site on the history of rockers. It might give you some design insight.

http://www.designboom.com/eng/educat...ng/origin.html

I think that an ellipse half as deep, if you will, as a semi-circle would be a starting point for the design.

This particular photo shows a shape similar to what I mean. It would appear to rock with ease, but not be too unstable.

http://www.designboom.com/eng/education/rocking/f9.gif

Your design description makes perfect sense on how to build this. It is what I would have done to make one. It seems that a three foot diameter might be a more workable dimension.

Hope this helps.