Building a "Murphy" bed

Old 10-25-03, 08:04 PM
BGC
Visiting Guest
Building a "Murphy" bed

Hi. Small room needs a big bed, and with a large double closet a fold-up wall-bed would be great, IF we could build the mechanism ourself. Anyone done this?
Thanks.
Barb DC

Old 10-25-03, 08:27 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't know for sure what you mean by building the mechanism for a Murphy bed, but here is a source for the hardware to build such a bed in twin, queen, king sizes, end and side mount.

http://www.leichtung.com/cgi-bin/FUL...ARTNUM=876-509

Hope this helps.

Old 10-26-03, 06:31 PM
BGC
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. I know I can BUY the mechanism. What I'd like to do is construct it myself - perhaps not a "Murphy" bed exactly, but a full sized double bed I can raise and lower from a tall, double doored closet. They've been around forever, after all, so someone must know how to "do it yourself."
Anyone?

Old 11-01-03, 07:37 AM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
There are about 3 or 4 different type of mechanisms available. From a piston type like the hatchback cars once used and the original Murphy to modern enclosed versions. The murphy requires a welded steel bed frame and steel mounting assembly fastened to the floor. Heavy coil springs attach to both mentioned parts and are exposed. The Murphy system is the most simple. Others have powerful springs enclosed in a steel housing. Most have or had U. S. patents.

None are intended to be made as a DIY project. There is risk, very large risk, working with the amount spring tension needed to lift a minimum 200 or 250 pound platform that contains a mattress and support in addition to the mechanism. I've seen queen size wall beds that have over 400 pounds to lift.

Most of the risk (not all) has been mitigated in the mechanism sold on the open market.

Old 11-01-03, 05:38 PM
BGC
Visiting Guest
AZFred
Thanks for your reply. My hope is for a simple steel framed full sized bed that will fold away in a double doored closet, and i must find some way to do this inexpensively, i.e. under a hundred bucks max. So any ideas? Thanks so much.

Old 11-01-03, 09:29 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Yep. Don't try it. You may wind up with a Lucy & Desi comedy.

How high is the closet opening? How long is the bed that you prefer. A full or double is 83" and a queen is 89" high when stored. I don't think your closet opening is high enough.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: