trim question on dresser

Old 11-18-03, 03:54 PM
tuckerdarla
Visiting Guest
trim question on dresser

I have this dresser that I think is about 10 yrs old. It is made out of particle board or mdf and has this gold rubber trim that is snapped into the dresser. I hate it! so I took that ugly trim off and now I have the groove that the rubber on the trim went into. How do I fill that groove or what can I cover it with? What about that stuff that you iron on? I saw it on trading spaces.

I had some left over wood trim that I liquid nailed to the top sides of the dresser. Did I do that right? That same trim is to wide to go on the sides of the dresser for it is in the way of the drawers.

I also have some nail holes I need to fill on the drawers how to you fill holes in particle board or mdf?

Thanks,
Darla

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-03, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The iron on veneer is available for places such as lowes. It would cover the groove for you and give you a good surface to stain or paint over the groove.

Filling particle board with wood putty will work. If you fill MDF, be sure to use a solvent-based product to help prevent the MDF from expanding irretrievably from the water.

If you put the trim on with liquid nails, and it worked, then it must be the right thing. It will be difficult to remove.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-03, 07:07 PM
tuckerdarla
Visiting Guest
how can I tell if it is particle board or mdf?

thanks
tuckerdarla

Old 11-19-03, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the material is exposed, look closely at it. MDF is composed of what appears to be wood dust, quite fine, glued together. Particle board is made of coarser particles. Particle board has a grainy appearance and feel along the cut edge. MDF is smoother and looks uniform throughout. The color of the material of MDF is uniform, particle board has more variation among the constituent particles.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-03, 07:51 AM
tuckerdarla
Visiting Guest
Thanks, yes it does

It is particle board.

Old 11-23-03, 03:45 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
I'm personally not a fan of filling slots from a router bit with wood filler. I use bondo, as in car bondo. Very small shrinkage rate.

You can use either the iron on edge tape which they sell at Home Depot, or go to www.rockler.com