Indestructible table

Old 11-23-03, 05:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Indestructible table

My wife and I breed dogs and when we have puppies, the little "darlings" like to chew on the coffee table and end tables, both legs and top.

I am thinking about building tables using something like Silestone for the tops, but I need ideas for a base and legs that would be immune to puppy teeth (is there such a thing?). Any ideas would be welcomed, including any other ideas for the tops.

BTW, something I don't have to weld; no equipment or expertise this area.

Bruce

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-03, 12:29 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
I doubt even Silestone will stand up to puppy teeth. Real stone like granite would. Even marble would scratch. Metal pipe and flanges (screw in) are the only 'puppy proof' items I can think of. The dozen I had (Labs) a few years ago where pretty destructive.

Old 11-26-03, 05:09 AM
Wow, maybe Silestone isn't as indestructible as I thought; I better call the rep and get a sample to experiment with.

I have thought about using pipe with flanges. Am going to look into the cost of having something chromed.

Thanks for the response.

Bruce

Old 11-26-03, 10:56 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
A metal finisher can chrome the pipe, he may charge a little extra to strip the galvanize and prep the surface. The ones I have worked with have been pretty reasonable for most work. Chroming some copper DWV might be cheaper than steel, and the smooth surface might look better. Ask the metal finisher.

Old 11-27-03, 06:49 AM
Hadn't thought about copper; good idea. Do you know if I can sweat 2" copper with my little Mapp gas torch I normally use for 1/2" and 3/4" pipe? Thanks!

Bruce

Old 12-02-03, 10:31 AM
tsawchuk
Visiting Guest
Puppy dillemma

Dear Bruce...I so feel for you (we have an irish wolfhound)

Have you ever thought of designing your coffee table as something TO BE chewed? For example, you could make a nice table top, but make the legs and edging out of something affordable and easily replaceable after each new litter.

After all, some substances like granite are puppy proof, but puppies aren't granite-proof. You don't want your little "darlings" injuring their teeth or gums on something too hard for them.

When our dog was young and chewing, we made a pretty cool coffee table. It was one of those round wooden spools that bulk cable is shipped on. It was ugly as sin, but I made a large round table cloth that went on top and used a staple gun to fasten it underneath so you couldn't see any of the wooden spool. As long as you use nice fabric, it looks nice, plus you can take it off and wash it when necessary or replace it when you change the room colours.

Anyway, Good luck and take care!

Tara

Old 12-02-03, 01:09 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
I have always fond it hard enough to train dogs not to chew the furniture. Why let them get in the habit? Labs are usually bad untill around 8-9 months old. Allowing a dog to behave in a way that you will later want to discourage is not very fair to you or the dog.

Old 12-02-03, 01:54 PM
tsawchuk
Visiting Guest
clarification

Sorry, I was being a bit facetious with my wording.

I certainly wasn't implying you should ALLOW the dog to chew the furniture. I just meant that during the training stages it's unavoidable that some damage will be done - particularly when you're working at training a whole litter and doing it every year or so. It makes sense to have furniture that still looks nice, but is somewhat expendable. It will save a lot of grief for both dogs and humans...

Old 12-03-03, 05:11 AM
We currently have 2 girls having 1 litter per year, with a third girl old enough next fall; small litters (4 is average for Cavaliers), but virtually impossible to keep track of them all at every moment.

I have indeed thought about using something expendible for legs. I am still thinking about oak, with the idea that I have to replace it every few years. I also polished up a scrap of copper pipe and sprayed it with a coat of clear lacquer to see how that looked; definately has possibilities. I have pretty much given up on the chrome idea because of cost and the "dated" look.

I really appreciate everyone's comments.

Bruce