Stripped screw


Old 11-27-03, 10:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I need some help

I have a big wooden computer desk and there's a slight problem.
The part where the keyboard goes is getting loose and it's falling down now. THe wooden part that holds the keyboard is supported by the actual desk on the left but on the right, there's like a wooden board that's attached (It's hard to explain haha). But anyway, that board is attached with some sort of a screw (the screw is cylindrical). I'm guessing the screw has worn out hte hole in the desk and now it's coming out. How could I fix it.

Any help is appreciated thanks.
Old 11-27-03, 10:27 PM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove the stripped screw, take a couple of toothpicks and coat them with woodworker's glue, and slide them in to the oversized hole. Let dry 30 minutes, trim the toothpicks even with the surface, drill new pilot hole. Re-insert screw.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-03, 06:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
That can be plan B

I was wondering if there's any way that can be done without drilling, like wrapping the screw in toilet paper or something like that.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-28-03, 06:46 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,817
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stripped screws

I have read that you can fill the screw hole with a wooden dowel or wooden match sticks and glue and then reinsert the screw. I have also read that you can wrap the screw with dental floss and fill hole with glue and reinsert.
Old 11-29-03, 08:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Look carefully at your desk where the screw fits and check for cracks. Sometimes overtightening a screw will cause the wood to crack. If there's no cracks take the screw to a hardware store and buy the next larger size. If you have a #8, get a #10 for example. Most hardware stores have display charts with sizes or color codes to help the shopper find what's needed ... don't be afraid to ask the store clerk if puzzled. Traditionally a #8 has a shank diameter of 11/64 and a 10 has 3/16. The wider diameter of a replacement screw may hold ... BUT this may only loosen up again in time and you seem to want a more permanet and no-drill repair, so use an all purpose quick set epoxy mix. It usually comes in a carded bubble pack with two small 1/2 ounce tubes for about $2-3. It will help if there's a crack in the wood also. Mix equal portions ... or follow directions ... with a toothpick, schmear it on the screw, reinsert and tighten. Epoxy may be a quick long lasting fix. Cap and save those epoxy tubes ... hundreds of uses.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: