Polyurethene wo't dry!

Old 12-03-03, 10:54 AM
boesiii
Visiting Guest
Angry Polyurethene wo't dry!

I am making a shuffleboard table and appling a ployurethene finish to the top. On a couple of coats, there was 1 or 2 spots that didn't dry (the top was dry but underneath was still wet). I probably put the finish on to heavy but can I use someting to make it dry like a hair dryer or hot air gun. I am using minwax polyurethene clear gloss.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-03, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It probably will never cure. Scrape of the soft material. Let whatever is left dry, then sand smooth and start over.

Old 12-04-03, 01:12 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
It could be a few things. One is that you put it on too heavy. Two could be that the temp in the room where you're working is too cold.

I wouldn't recommend you use any type of heat source which can cause sparks like a hair dryer or heat gun. Minwax's Poly is flamable and could ignite on fire. If all else fails, then strip the top, but don't wait too long, because it could become very hard to strip. Use a stripper, don't just try to sand it down. When you're done stripping it, wipe it down with lacquer thinner to neturalize the acids in the stripper.. Let dry for 24 hours then start sanding