measuring for bevel cuts - how to

Old 12-04-03, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
measuring for bevel cuts - how to

What's a good way to figure where to line-up the piece for a bevel cut on a tablesaw? Put another way...when I angle the blade at 45 degrees, how do I figure where to begin the pass? Is there a better way than just making several passes, starting conservatively? If I need a 15" long piece, beveled on both ends, it becomes a guessing game for me...usually end up losing crucial length. Should I be flipping the piece over, and cutting from the other side of the blade? (beginner's question for a beginner)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-03, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mark the wood on the leading edge where you want the saw to cut, line that mark with the proper side of the blade, and hold the piece against the miter guage and pull back. Drop the guard onto the table, start the saw, then make the cut. Repeat for the other end.

Precision in cutting requires understanding exactly what you want to have after you cut. Use a knife to make these marks. A pencil line is too wide for real precision.

For bevel cuts, use your try square to extend the angle mark to the point where the wood contacts the table top so that there is no approximating.

Practice on some scrap, until you feel comfortable with the technique.

Hope this helps.