tablesaw/shop vac connection - how to?

Old 12-02-03, 10:36 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tablesaw/shop vac connection - how to?

Right now, I have a Craftsmen tablesaw - 10", 3 hp - with a "dust collection" bag mounted underneath the saw. As many of you might already know, this does collect some sawdust, but not enough to keep your face clean. I'd like to purchase a shopvac to hook up to the saw instead. I know there's a need for some accessory, like a plastic plate, that meets the 10" opening in the plastic basin under the saw. And, I'd like the vac to turn on when I turn on the saw...any suggestions on what type to buy, and how to piggy back the switch? (I need to go the $50-$80 route with a shopvac, rather than a full system for a few hundred...still on a student budget)

Any thoughts appreciated,
Sampson.

Old 12-02-03, 11:02 AM
S
on second thought...

I just followed a link that Chris had provided last August, and now realize that a shop vac is just a "chip collector" and in fact circulates more fine dust than not using one at all.
(http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworki...lone/index.cfm)

So now, can anyone steer me towards some of the less expensive dust collectors? Anyone use one of these? I'm interested now because I am afraid of all the airborne dust I am breathing in, and opening 2 windows in my basement shop is probably not doing the trick.

Old 12-02-03, 04:26 PM
C
A small one such as Penn State makes will do a good job on a single tool with the fine mesh bags.

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...Category_Code=

I have one that I have been using for 10 - 12 years. I added a cyclone to it. A cyclone is the most effective way to remove dust.

The folks on the dust collection part of this bulletin board as extremely knowledgeable about dust collection, and can provide a wide variety of answers to this question.

http://talk.woodmagazine.com/woodtalkindex.html

Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-03, 11:18 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
In order to do what you're talking about in regard of the dust collection turning on when the saw turns on; you need to have what is called a RELAY SWITCH. If you're a student, I probably wouldn't recommend you go this route as it is very expensive.

One thing to realize about your "3HP" Saw is that it's only 3 hp when you turn the saw on. As soon as you start cutting it goes down to 1-1/2 hp.

In regard to filtering "Air Born Dust" I use what is called an AIR FILTRATION SYSTEM. Jet and Delta both make one. It's a 110volt and plugs into any regular outlet. Read the specs as to which one you'll need. They tell you how much air space it filters and in what time frame. It will tell you the amount of Sq Footage it will do. They have all different sizes. I have the big boy from Jet and mine was in the $400.00. You can get the smaller ones for about $200.00. It really does help a lot. I have a 3,500 sq ft manufacturing facility where I built Custom Furniture at a professional level. I've had it in my shop for the past 4 years of business.

Sdp321 You say you're looking for a "Less Expensive" dust collector. I will answer that by asking you, "What price tag do you put on your health and breathing?"

I have a 220 volt dust collector. Jet 1100 and It works great. If you don't have an air filtration system, Jet makes a dust collector with a caninster on top that acts like a air filtration system. It's in the $400.00 range. Go to www.rockler.com

Old 12-08-03, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I built a cabinet for my 10" Craftsman table saw and connected the dust collection to the cabinet. I've been using it for about three years and it works great. If you'll send me an email, I'll send you some pictures.

Old 12-12-03, 01:57 PM
minaw
Visiting Guest
I find that a 20" floor fan with a 20" furnace filter leaning on the intake side works quite well. One of these days I'll use an extra furnace fan and build a custom enclosure to do a better job, but for now this works and doesn't cost $400+.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: