Building a "platform" ?

Old 12-31-03, 07:35 AM
Kriztufer
Visiting Guest
Building a "platform" ?

I'm moving into a new townhouse and I'll be putting my entertainment center in the basement. There is no history of flooding or water in the basement, but just to be safe I want to build a platform to put it on.

This is what I want to put on the platform

I could build a simple frame out of 2 X 4's and throw some plywood on it, but if I do it this way, it won't be as high I want it.

I want to raise it up about 8 inches, but I don't know how to go about building something high enough and sturdy enough to hold the entertainment center, TV, etc.

any suggestions, tips, pointers, etc would be greatly appreciated

Happy New Year!

Last edited by Kriztufer; 12-31-03 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-31-03, 02:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
uhhh...how about 2x8's?

Old 12-31-03, 05:42 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Build a frame of 2x8 as suggested with cross members on 24 inch centers. Apply 3/4" plywood or other sheet good. That should hold it just fine. It will weigh a lot, so you might want to construct it in place.

2x8 is 7.25 inches wide. 3/4" plywood is .75 inch so there are 8 inches.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-01-04, 06:33 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Well, First off,

Can I have your TV? J/k

As far as you're unit goes, raising it up 8" will look kinda odd with just a platform.

I would recommend you make a box for it all to sit on and make drawers in it to hold Cd's, Tapes, DVD"s, etc. That way it will be usable space. As far as matching the color, if it was store bought, you can have a local finishing co do the finishing work for a few hundred bucks. If you made it, then you know what color to use.

Incase you do have a flood, you're only out the few hundred in finishing and the box you made. I'm sure that TV would be a lot more expensive to replace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: