corner shelves support

Old 02-04-04, 07:12 AM
angelz
Visiting Guest
Question corner shelves support

hello my carpentry mentors!

need your advice on a corner book case i'm building.

it's an L-shaped book case, and i'm having problems figuring out how to support the shelves in the corner of the L. i don't want two book cases just butted up against each other, but this is going to be one big book case with the shelves meeting diagonally in the corner.

would you please advise me how to support them attractively and effectively. there will be a lot of weight placed on them in the form of large dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.

blessings for your help!

angel

Old 02-04-04, 01:41 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
First off, before I give you advice, I need to know a few things.

#1 What tools do you have to work with?

#2 How much experience in woodworking do you have?

#3 How comfortable are you on the table saw?

#4 How far out will your table saw fence go? 24", 30"

Old 02-05-04, 06:08 AM
angelz
Visiting Guest
corner shelf advice needed - reply to furniture bldr

hello mike,

thanks for taking time to guide me through this.

answers to your q-s:

#1 What tools do you have to work with?
saws, drills, no routers or fancy stuff

#2 How much experience in woodworking do you have?
minimal, but i'm eager, resourceful, and sadly - more handy than any of my guy friends

#3 How comfortable are you on the table saw?
perfectly

#4 How far out will your table saw fence go? 24", 30"
i think, 24"

perhaps i'm more ignorant about this project than i thought .... because i can't for the life of me see the connection between my question and the info you wanted... so, will appreciate your enlightening words of wisdom twice as much now...

thanks again,
angel z
angelznest@hotmail.com

Old 02-05-04, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
angelz-

The answer to your question depends (in part) on whether you want the 90 degree angle to be completely open or can live with a vertical piece running the height of the bookcase and in the angle.

You can build it completely open, but you'll give up a lot of strength in your shelves - they'll bow eventually if you put very much weight on them. Your teddy bear collection would be fine, but the anvil collection needs a different home.

If you can live with a support in the angle, a 1" x 1" piece would add a lot of strength without being too obtrusive. If your shelves are fixed, cut dados in the support piece to hold the shelves. If they're adjustable, use shelf pins.

Personally, I would make a fixed center shelf and other shelves adjustable. I would also make the angled section as a single unit and add additional "regular" units on each side depending on how big a bookcase I wanted.

Old 02-05-04, 07:55 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Make the "L" Shelf one piece, thus why I asked how much experience/feel comfortable on the table saw. You can cut out most of the shelf on the table saw, draw your line and jig saw the last 1" or so. Then I would put 2 shelf pins on each small depth end, and then one on each end near the corner. With the ones in the corner, measure up the thickness of your shelf say 3/4" drill another shelf hole on each back corner and turn the spoon pin upside down. This will prevent the shelf from tipping out. If you're REALLY concerned with the weight issue, screw the shelf in from the sides and the back. See my point?

Old 02-12-04, 03:50 AM
angelz
Visiting Guest
mike & dave, thank YOU!!! for corner shelf advice

thanks guys!

it sounds like what i want is not possible. to place encyclopedias on those shelves while keeping them open from the front.

i will cut out the L in one piece. that's a great suggestion. i see how it would make it all stronger.

AND i will screw it in from the back of the shelf. now, why didn't i think of that!!!!??? what about the screw length? the longer, the stronger hold? or not really? and how about the spacing? the closer together, the stronger, or not really?

how about using an L bracket under the shelves too? what do you think?

very, very grateful for your help!

angelznest

Old 02-12-04, 10:48 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
An 1-1/2" screw will work fine. If you're using the dry wall screws from HD "The black ones" Use the 1-5/8". "Remember to pre-drill.

If you want anglez, Draw something and fax it to me and Ill tell you how to build it.

Old 02-12-04, 05:29 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
You can put your books on the shelves with the way I was telling you. I would probably recomment you put a solid wood face on the front of the 3/4" though. Make the solid wood 1-1/2" and let the 3/4" hang down so its flush with the top of the shelf.

I can fax you a drawing of what Im talking about too, if youd like

Old 02-17-04, 07:34 AM
angelz
Visiting Guest
fax

hello again,

kind of you to offer to fax me a drawing. i'm grateful. i don't quite understand the last instructions. you can fax it to my work at 510 490 3651.

thank you very much,
angel

Old 02-17-04, 12:20 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Faxed.

Let me know if you got it and if you're able to understand it. If I need to go into more detail I will. I have a busy day today, so bare with me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: