Making Floating Shelves. "No Exposed Brackets"

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-04, 11:23 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Making Floating Shelves. "No Exposed Brackets"

Ever wondered how to make those shelves that just float on the wall? If you'd like to know, chime back and I'll be more than happy to type out the instructions.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-04, 05:04 AM
Pugwinkle
Visiting Guest
Floating shelves instructions

Yes, I would definitely like to know how to make them. Please do type out the instructions!

Old 02-14-04, 01:52 PM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Mike,

(Built one in my basement with an eight foot long mirror over it.)

It would be very cool if you would pass it along. I'm betting this would be a project lots of folks would be interested in.

Tom

Old 02-14-04, 08:08 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
The best way to mount a floating shelf is to have someone you don't like stand under it and hold it up while the lights are off.

On a more serious note:

I'm going to tell you the easiest do-it-yourself way.

Take two pieces of wood no greater than 12" wide. You can go as long as you want, but I wouldn't suggest you make a floating shelf longer than 48". If you want to then you'll need to connect it into the side walls. "At least one side"

Lets say we want to make our floating shelf 3" thick "Which I don't recommend making thinner unless you're using one of the side walls to help support it" 12" deep and 36" long.

Your material list for the actual shelf will be:

2pc @ 3/4" x 11-1/4" W x 34-1/2" L
2pc @ 3/4" x 1-1/2" W x 11-1/4" L
1pc @ 3/4" x 1-1/2" W x 33" L

That will make up the actual shelf which will slip over the skeleton support.

So essentially you'll be making a hallow box with the back open. You will be putting a solid wood molding on the face/sides of it to cover up the exposed edges

Take one peice of the 3/4" x 11-1/4" x 34-1/2" Stand the pieces of 3/4x 1-1/2" up on their side. Glue and Nail these in . So it looks like this

------
-
-

Now, take the top piece of 3/4" x 11-1/4" x 34-1/2" and nail/glue that to the top of what you've put together so far.

When you're done you should have a box that is 3"x11-1/4"x34-1/2"

The back will be open.

You will need to cut strips that are 1-1/2"- a hair. You will be making a frame that will slide into the opening in the back of the shelf.

So your cut list will be:

2pc @ 3/4" x 1-1/2"- a hair x 34"
4pc @ 3/4" x 1-1/2"- a hair x 9"

You will need to nail, glue and put one screw at each joint.

Your skeleton frame should end up being 34"x 10-1/2"

Take 2 of the 4 smaller pieces and divide it out equally within the frame.

This frame gets screwed into the studs and the shelf slides over it.

Then take your soild wood and miter it around the raw edges of plywood. Clamp on or nail this on and that's it

Anyone not understand something I've written? Chime back.

Old 02-16-04, 03:17 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Anyone who wants to see a detailed picture of what I'm talking about, give me your email address or fax and Ill send it to you.

Hmmm, I wonder how much I could make for selling plans over DIY.

Just Kidding Sharp Advice!!!

Old 02-17-04, 04:46 AM
Pugwinkle
Visiting Guest
Mike, how can we e-mail you from this site to give you our e-mail addresses? I'm fairly new to this forum and I haven't figured out how to e-mail members.

Old 02-17-04, 09:30 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest

Last edited by Furniture Bldr; 02-18-04 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 09:40 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Now that I know how to post pics of things to give good examples, it will make my explainations a whole! lot easier.

I will make a quick floating shelf and show you what it looks like. Guts and all.

Old 02-17-04, 10:59 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]

Here are 3 pics of the floating shelf I whipped up real quick. You have the option to add a veneer, molding or a piece of solid wood to the face and sides to dress it up and cover the exposed plywood edges. There is no reason to make these type of shelves out of solid wood. You'd be wasting time and money.

In the support skeleton sticking out the back, that gets screwed to the wall and the shelf slides over it. I didnt screw the skeleton support together as I was just showing how to make this.

Any questions, let me know, but it should be self explainatory

Last edited by Furniture Bldr; 02-18-04 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-18-04, 10:45 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
can anyone view the pic i put in there?

Old 02-18-04, 11:15 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Ok, you should be able to view it now. If not, let me know

Old 02-19-04, 04:20 AM
Pugwinkle
Visiting Guest
Great pictures Mike!! Thanksf or taking the time to show us and also to send the instructions!

Old 02-19-04, 04:31 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Welcome

Do you see exactly how to make them Pugwinkle? I can't make it much simplier than that

Old 02-19-04, 05:23 AM
Pugwinkle
Visiting Guest
yeah absolutely! Those pictures and instructions are terrific!

Old 02-19-04, 01:44 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Pugwinkle? Isn't it almost sad how easy they are to make? It looks a lot more intimidating than it really is.

Old 02-19-04, 03:39 PM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Mike.

Now when everyone gets one from me for Christmas, they're going to know that I didn't put in much effort.

Nice project, though, and the pics couldn't make it much more self-explanatory. Well done.

Tom

Old 02-19-04, 05:05 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
I wonder if I could add a PalPal account for my services. Hmmm LOL Just kidding. Nah, it's nice to see that people can benefit from pictures a lot more than me typing a book on how to do it.

Most of the world are visual people and need to "See" what someone is talking about. Myself included

Old 02-25-04, 09:33 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
So has anyone tried to make a floating shelf since I posted how to do it?

Old 02-25-04, 01:19 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not yet, (since I did just read it) but it is definitely something I now feel I could add to the house in the future. Thanks again.

Old 03-05-04, 03:31 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
I sure did get a lot of views on this post, so I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to make one.

Old 06-17-04, 04:17 PM
CarissaPearcy
Visiting Guest
Some more info

Its been awhile since your last entry and I was wondering if you could repost the directions. Thanks

Old 06-17-04, 04:24 PM
CarissaPearcy
Visiting Guest
help again

I was wondering how to make the floating shelves. I'm going to be having my godfather make me those and a frame for some wall art. So if you could give me the directions to make both I would surely love it. I also wanted to stain them in a golden cherry almost wood to match the furniture I already have so let me know if this would be possible with the materials you suggest.
Thanks a bunch!!

Old 06-17-04, 08:31 PM
tae
I dont believe that "Furniture Bldr" participates here at DIY anymore.
If you want to see the pictures, i have them. let me know.

Old 08-26-04, 09:36 AM
Scrapper
Visiting Guest
Smile Pictures

Tae,

Would you be so kind to send me the pictures? I'd love to make these shelves but the link to the pictures is no longer active. Thanks!

Scrapper

Old 10-10-04, 07:52 AM
sandy_1630
Visiting Guest
Pictures

I would appreciate it if you would send me the pictures.
My wife has asked me to make floating shelves and the pictures would really help me.
Thanks!

Last edited by sandy_1630; 10-10-04 at 07:53 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-11-04, 08:32 PM
tae
pm me your email address so i can send them!

Old 11-16-04, 09:26 AM
logan00
Visiting Guest
I am not sure if this thread is still active, but if it is, I would be interested in seeing a picture of the shelves described above. IF you need my email address, let me know how to get it to you.

Thanks

Old 11-27-04, 09:48 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Old 12-03-04, 05:22 AM
logan00
Visiting Guest
Sawdustguy, do you have any plans or directions? I want to build them to put on the wall to hold dvd's

Old 12-03-04, 06:45 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Logan, check your private messages.

Old 12-03-04, 05:39 PM
Cellar Dweller
Visiting Guest
Forum Policies

Cellar Dweller,

These are just some of our Forum policies,

1. DoItYourself.com Community Forum posts should be courteous, polite and make a positive contribution to the topics discussion. Content that may be interpreted as offensive, objectionable and or inappropriate in a reasonable persons view is prohibited.

2. Publicly second-guessing, harassing, or ridiculing is prohibited. Posts containing viruses, or any type of contaminating and or destructive features or links are prohibited.

3. Flaming Trolls – DoItYourself.com has a zero tolerance policy pertaining to abusive, malicious personal attacks. Anyone deliberately antagonizing, being disruptive, argumentative towards another Community Member by posting ‘flame bait’ messages will be banned.

4. Never degrade any other person. Always be polite, courteous and treat each other with respect, dignity and high regard. Moderators and members donate their time to make the Forums a Better Community.

5. Members should demonstrate progressive ideals by avoiding vocabulary considered offensive, discriminatory or judgmental. Do It Yourself will not tollerate subordination of any individual, group or culture.

6. Posts should contribute to the discussion, provide useful, helpful and or professional advice.

Members in violation of the rules are subject to being banned from usage on the web site.

Management reserves the right to edit Members rules as needed.

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Posts should contribute to the discussion, provide useful, helpful and or professional advice.

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 12-05-04 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Publicly ridiculing member
Old 12-07-04, 04:44 PM
Ripsaw
Visiting Guest
floating shelves-would like info

Originally Posted by Furniture Bldr
Ever wondered how to make those shelves that just float on the wall? If you'd like to know, chime back and I'll be more than happy to type out the instructions.

Thanks, I would like the instructions.

Old 12-07-04, 10:09 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Rip,

If you go to the 4th post in this topic, you will see instructions. You just need to apply your dimensions accordingly.

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 12-07-04 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-03-05, 10:31 AM
kare8585
Visiting Guest
Question un-sure

hi- I read your instructions on how to mount the floating shelves, but I have a question about longer shelves. I made a 6" wide shelves that is about 3'6" long and it seems to be pretty heavy. I'm wondering if there are different or additional ways I can mount this shelve onto the wall and still have enough support for its weight? Also do I need a different way to support the width itself? Please help

Old 08-30-05, 09:16 PM
Wheezy
Visiting Guest
Talking Floating shelves

I would love to know how to make floating shelves. I've seen them used before on HGTV but never learned how to make them. I would really appreciate the information.

Thanks and God bless!!

Wheezy

Old 05-08-06, 07:25 AM
F
Hi

We have had some quotes to have an alcove unit and floating shelves built and fitted to walls in our lounge.

However due to the cost of having this done, I am considering doing this myself - the shelves part at least.

Could anyone please e-mail the pictures over to me - it sounds as though they could be very useful.

Kind regards

Fabian.

Old 04-19-08, 04:19 PM
Y
yayagal

sawdust, could you please *POST* a picture of the floating shelves?

Last edited by GregH; 04-20-08 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Remove email address........not permitted
Old 04-20-08, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good Morning, yayagal and welcome to the DIY Forums.

You may want to take a few minutes to read the rules for posting and the FAQ's about our site. The thread you are directing your question toward was written in 2004. (You'll see the date of the post in the upper left corner of the post.)

If you'd like to start a new thread, go to the topic page, Carpentry and Woodworking, scroll down until you see the "New Post" tab and click on that.

Also, you cannot post your personal web page.

Connie

Old 04-24-08, 04:23 AM
W
Want to build floating shelves...with a twist

Dear Furniture Bldr,

I found this thread on a Google search, and I'm hoping you can help me...

I have a collection of ornamental glass sitting on glass shelves, each measuring 36"x10", supported by vertical standards and metal shelf brackets. What I'd like to do is build a floating shelf frame that I could set the glass shelves into, then install underlighting in the floating shelf frame. Is there a practical way to do this that will support the weight of the frame, glass shelf AND the ornamental glass I'm displaying?

I'd appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks!

Old 04-24-08, 01:51 PM
K
Build your frame as part of the house framing.

Expose the stud sides - say you want a shelf pane about 34", you'd pick three studs and cut access on opposite sides of two studs. Then screw the two frame sides to the studs (two screws, farther apart is better!). Trim the front and rear parts to length, assemble. Patch the wall.

If the shelf weighs a lot, just use wider (profile height) boards for the frame, and more screws in the studs.

Closed Thread