Wall-mounted corner TV shelf

Old 02-14-04, 08:21 AM
mcrowley1
Visiting Guest
Question Wall-mounted corner TV shelf

I want to build a wall-mounted corner shelf that will hold a 27" TV. I have installed corner shelves before, but they were much smaller and did not have to support much weight. The shelf will be triangle-shaped. After doing some rough measuring I figure the supports on the walls will have to come out 33 inches from the corner, and the front side will measure approximately 47 inches across. Will I need any more support besides the horizontal supports running along the walls? How much weight can I expect such a shelf to hold?

Old 02-14-04, 11:24 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you thought about one of those swival type TV shelves. They come in all sorts of sizes, some even with integral DVD/VCR brackets.

See link...

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...DADBDADADADADA

Old 02-14-04, 12:49 PM
mcrowley1
Visiting Guest
I wouldn't mind one of the brackets, but my wife thinks they're ugly. She wants a shelf. I've seen shelves in bars and restaurants that even hold big screen TVs, so I figured it wouldn't take much to put one up that will hold a 27 inch.

Old 02-14-04, 02:26 PM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
How about a "camouflaged" metal mount?

The reason I suggest this is that Steve is right. The metal jobs are far superior to anything made of wood. However, you must please your wife. (This is paramount if you ever want to buy more tools! )

Let's pretend:

You mount 2 X 4's to the studs with lag screws that you could hang a car engine from. So far, so good. The shelf will require an angle down, though, so you have to bevel the tops of the 2 X 4's at, let's say, a 15-degree angle to accept the shelf. Still, not a big deal.

For a clean fit of the shelf, you have to bevel the 33-inch sides (sides along the wall) at the same 15-degree angle on the bottom, with a 105-degree (opposite) cut to fit against the walls. (Starting to get real ugly, but not insurmountable...)

Now, even using 3/4" ply, you've reduced the thickness of the wood where you want to join the shelf to the braces by up to 3/16" (I'm guessing here, but betting I'm not far off). Not a lot of wood to deal with, given the task at hand.

Now, you want to throw a TV weighing 80 pounds (plus, perhaps) on the shelf and hope that it holds.

A possibility (this really could go on for days!). Two pieces of 1/8" steel flat stock along both back edges, i.e. into the corner, with holes drilled to accept additional lag bolts into the 2 X 4 braces.

Wanna take it further? Rabbet the back edges so that the steel stock is flush with the shelf.

(Mike? Dave? Will one of you two stop me!)

Anyway, someone will save me from myself and give you a great idea. I'm just thinking out loud, here.

Tom

Old 02-14-04, 08:40 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
46.66904755831213661045572789892" To be exact.

I would make it like a Home Plate.

I would highly suggest you make it about 3" thick and hit each stud with two screws top and bottom. Are you really going to enjoy seeing that cable/plug wire hanging down the wall?

[SIZE=4]:/[/SIZE]

Old 02-14-04, 08:45 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
For those of you who are wondering how he figured out what the triangle dimension would be, here is how he did it.

A Squared + B Squared = C Squared.

SO take 33x33 which gives you = 1089

Now take 33x33 for the other side which also = 1089

Now to get your "C" add both numbers together which gives you =2178.

Now that you have the 2178 number in your calculator, hit the square root button and that will give you the 46.669 or 46-21/32 aka 46-5/8+1/32"

You take your 90 degree dimensions for the A and B.

Old 02-14-04, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mike-
So what makes you think he has a 90 degree corner? Making things square and plumb is a hanging offense in some parts.
Now, for your bonus question.......Which ancient greek philosopher concocted that formula? (Hint - The name starts with "P")

mcrowley1-
If you looked closely at those TV's in the bars, there was probably a lot of support not readily visible - depending on the lighting and how long you had been there before you really looked (if you get my drift)

Old 02-14-04, 09:51 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Who cares what the guys name is, as long as the formula works, that's all that matters.

I know it's a "90" deg wall, because of the numbers he typed in saying the cross dimension would be about 47. For it to be about 47 it would have to be a "90 Deg" corner. AKA somewhat square.

Old 02-14-04, 09:54 PM
mcrowley1
Visiting Guest
Good point! After reading some of the responses I got, I'm seriously rethinking actually doing something like this. Anybody have any plans for a nice corner entertainment armoire?

Old 02-14-04, 09:56 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
If you're going to make a corner unit, be aware that you'll need a lot of space each way to make it work and look good. I would build a box and make angled columns to meet the walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: