Bathroom radiator cover

Old 02-20-04, 04:13 PM
Measure twice, cut once.
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom radiator cover

I am re-doing my bathroom and there is one of those cast iron radiators that I do not want to remove. I would like to know what type of wood to use when building a radiator cover since there will be periods of humidity and heat.

Old 02-22-04, 07:00 AM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Rundog,

A couple of things. First, what, exactly, did you have in mind for a cover? Second, is the radiator still functional, i.e. steam/hot water going to it?

The reason I ask is that vanities, counter tops, wood-framed mirrors, etc. are all subject to the type of humidity that you would have in a bath after showering, for example, and there are many types of wood, or wood products, used for these items.

It sounds like you may have a working radiator that you want to do some "cosmetics" with but it would help if we knew for sure.

Tom

Old 02-22-04, 04:57 PM
Measure twice, cut once.
Tom,
The radiator is functional and there is hot waer going to it. I want to enclose the most of it (except the back side) and provide some sort of ventnig in the front.

thanks,
rundog

Old 02-22-04, 05:55 PM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Ahhh.... A horse of a different color, so to speak.

You can't enclose it completely, not even with the back left open. A radiator does exactly that, i.e. radiates heat. Up, down and sideways, backways. (You get the idea.)

A vent won't do it...for long, anyway. You can "camoflauge" the radiator, though.

You can box it in, on the sides and top, and place a screen over the front of an, otherwise, open face. That'll let the heat out into the bath without compromising your unit.

Paint it all with the same color of paint and you'll hardly know it's there.

In fact, you might get creative and make the top a decorative shelf. (Never let it be said that we left you with only one idea! )

Tom

Old 02-23-04, 04:32 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Good Advice Tom!

I second that.

Old 02-23-04, 03:28 PM
Measure twice, cut once.
thanks guys,

But what kind of wood do I use? Oak faced or spruce faced plywood, poplar or some other kind of wood?

Thanks....

Old 02-23-04, 04:45 PM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Poplar might be a good choice if you're painting. Fairly inexpensive, works well from a tool standpoint and paints up very nicely (provided that you intend to paint it).

Rather depends on your budget if you want to stain. Mike Minch (Furniture Bldr) has shared with me that cherry and maple are very popular with a lot of folks right now. (Cherry ply runs about $100 a sheet in my neck of the woods so I wouldn't, personally, go that way, if you know what I mean. Yikes!)

My take on your project is that you're looking to "hide", not draw attention, so staining would not be my choice here. Also depends on the size of the bath. In a larger bathroom, you could get away with a stained project like yours. In a small bath, it would only make the room seem smaller yet.

And you thought this was going to be simple, huh?

Tom

Old 02-24-04, 03:36 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Cherry and Maple are very popular right now, but Maple is a very hard wood to stain. The graining structure is so tight that it doesn't accept stain well and has the tendency to be VERY blotchy. Cherry too can be blotchy.

The ways to prevent such things are to do what is called anile-n-dying- the piece, but this takes a lot of skill and a great knowledge with colors.

It appears that a lot of people are just going to clear coat finishes. Give it 10 years and we will be back to the Walnuts and Mahagonys.

I have a project coming up here in the next month that WOW it's going to be nice. All clear coat Walnut I will be doing some hidden "James Bond" storage for Cd's DVD's, etc in what looks like a column with a corbel. When you look at it, it's going to look just like a regular column, but it will have a hidden drawer. It will be a very "Architectual" unit. We will be incorporating a Zero Clearance electric fireplace, a tv, bookcases and barrelled arches. "Not a face piece arch, but the whole opening will be arched. Pretty cool! Stay Tuned! Anyone interested in learning how to do some or all of the items I'll be doing, let me know!

Old 02-24-04, 10:50 AM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Rundog,

Based on Mike's admonition concerning staining of maple and cherry, not to mention the price, let's rule those puppies out. Clear-coating would remain an option if it appeals to you, but I still believe there are better options available.

And, just to let you know that I continued thinking about your project, even while working on my own last night, one of the more mundane details would be how you could hold the cover in place. You don't want to "permanently" mount it against the wall because, at some time, you'll need to get at the radiator.

The front could be built as a door, but you'd have additional hardware to deal with and it would detract from a "clean" appearance.

Then I thought of (don't laugh) magnets. You know, the type that you might use to hold cupboard doors closed. They're inexpensive, adjustable and, with two or three placed on the inside of your side panels, should hold your cover securely enough against the wall to do the job. Plus, it shouldn't be a big deal to pull the cover away from the wall to work on the radiator if needed.

Maybe some other folks can come up with better ideas along this line.

Mike,

If you haven't done so already, (I haven't been to the main board yet) you should post a separate thread about your new project. People "skim" threads that they're not active in (hence missing things) and your next one sounds like another photo opportunity in the making.

Tom

Old 02-24-04, 11:52 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
As far as mounting it goes, you can do what's called a french cleat.

You cut a 45 deg angle on a piece of wood and make it like a hanging rail of a cabinet and you cut another piece of wood which becomes your mounting bracket which also has a 45 deg angle cut in it so the two over lap each other and lock together. Make sense? If not, it will be back to digital camera time.

You can even make cabinets this way too.

That way you screw the 45 deg angled piece to the wall and slide the cabinet on top of it.

Old 02-24-04, 03:43 PM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Mike,

I like your idea better. We mount cabinets and "whiteboards" (similar to chalkboards but designed for "erasable" marking pens) in conference rooms with the metal equivalent of your French cleat and it's sweet.

Excellent alternative, Michael.

Tom

Old 02-24-04, 03:46 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
::Takes fist, blows on it and rubs it on chest::: Yes, I know I know my ideas are superior. LOL Just Kiddin.

::Sigh:: I'm just sitting here doing drawings for a meeting I have tonight with a client in the city. Fun Stuff!

Old 02-24-04, 05:03 PM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Michael,

I said it was an excellent alternative and that I liked it better. (Don't go "smarty-pants" on me! )

Tom

Old 02-25-04, 01:26 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
:::Looks around with angels halo on::: By golly Tom, I have no idea what you're talking about. ::Snickers::

Old 02-29-04, 10:19 AM
Measure twice, cut once.
wow!
You guys are great. French cleats, magnets and all that sound like a couple of cool ways to secure the unit to the wall while maintaining removability.

My choice of wood might be oak since the rest of the cabinetry and entry door will have honey colored oak as finishes. I think it should hold up well to heat and moisture. I'll give it a staining and then a Varathane finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: