butcher block counter repair

Old 02-23-04, 08:41 AM
wally
Visiting Guest
butcher block counter repair

I have a maple butcher block counter top that has seperated at one of the seems. An article I read suggests repairing the crack with wood filler and recoating the surface with mineral oil. What type of wood filler should I use? The butcher block counter is used for food preparation.

Thanks
Wally

Old 02-23-04, 11:49 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
never use any type of filler on something that food comes in contact with. You might as well drink a bottle of lacquer thinner at that point.

You can try to inject some glue into the joint and clamp it again. Or you could cut the top on the table saw at the joint and re-glue it.

Old 02-23-04, 02:00 PM
wally
Visiting Guest
Mike,

Thanks for your reply to my question about patching a crack in a butcher block counter top with wood filler. I am not aware of any wood filler that would be safe to use on a counter top used for food preparation either.

I read the following article that suggested wood filler but it gave no details on the type of wood filler - this is the reason I asked the question.

http://www.doityourself.com/clean/cuttingblock.htm

Thanks again
Wally

Old 02-23-04, 02:15 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
I disagree with that article where it says to use Wood Filler. I don't know of any wood filler that is food safe and until I see one approved by the FDA, I'll never use it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: