drywall compound

Old 02-26-04, 02:03 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drywall compound

is there a drywall compound that is water proof? what should I use when going from backerboard to plaster?

Thanks

Old 02-26-04, 04:25 PM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Thomas,

You might want to try posting this question in the "Patching and Plastering" section of the forum, as well.

Here, you might get lucky but I'll bet there are pros in the other section who can answer your question readily.

Sounds like you're tackling a bathroom project. Perhaps deteriorated wallboard around a bathtub or something of the like.

What you're asking about must exist but, I admit, I can't give you a good answer.

Sorry.

Tom

Old 02-28-04, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There's a "water resistant" drywall compound for use in bathrooms, etc. Get it smooth while it's wet, 'cause it doesn't sand worth squat!! It has latex in it (I think) and it balls up when you try to sand it smooth.

Old 02-29-04, 07:02 AM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Dave,

The latex additive sounds right to me. I know it's used extensively in concrete patch, thinset, grout and so forth for adhesion and flexibility.

Tom

Old 02-29-04, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tom-

My only problem with the water resistant compound is the need to get it smooth while it's wet. The first time I used it, I assumed that I could sand it to get out the ridges, etc. Boy was I wrong!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: