What to do with dresser top?

Old 03-02-04, 07:33 PM
boomboom
Visiting Guest
What to do with dresser top?

I have an old bedroom set and am in the process of refinishing it. Not sure how old or what the wood is, but I've stripped the old paint off the sides of the dressers. Now I need to work on the dresser tops. There seems to be some sort of a formica on it. I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

Wondering if anybody could give me some tips on what to do.

I'm attaching a picture of the corner of the dresser top that I'm re-finishing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-02-04, 09:23 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Where is the picture? Your best bet is to go to Yahoo Photos and make an album to post on here.

Old 03-03-04, 07:19 PM
boomboom
Visiting Guest
Old 03-03-04, 08:39 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
It says page is not available.

Old 03-03-04, 09:30 PM
boomboom
Visiting Guest
Hmm .. I just went there and it worked just fine.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/prangev

Then click the My Documents link
Then click the only file in that folder which should be:

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/7b4b7c6...gTrRAB3hT5JLhT

I hope that works now!

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

Old 03-03-04, 09:32 PM
boomboom
Visiting Guest
Ahh .. I guess the picture I put up there is kind of blury. Regardless, my problem is the dresser top. It's a very thin layer of something on there that I need to get rid of and replace - or put something on top of it and then somehow make the edges look good. I'm just not sure what the best option is and hope somebody out there can give me some suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-04, 11:26 AM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
What you have on there is called a "Veneer" You won't be able to get it off and make a new top look very nice. At the ponint you're at with the chips and such, the only things you could really do are touchups with wax sticks, filler and graining pencils. If you don't know how to use them, you're going to waste a lot of time and money.

You will end up destroying the top before you'd get that piece of veneer off. If you were able to get it up and you tried to put a new one down, you'd need a 100% flat surface without any imperfections. Veneer isn't like formica. Veneer will follow any imperfections. and will show through the finish.

Old 03-05-04, 07:14 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It appears from the picture that the top surface is formica or some form of high pressure plastic laminate. The edges appear to have been covered with wood veneer to conceal the edges of the top and the edge of the formica.

If you remove the formica from the top, you can apply a new sheet of formica to it. You could apply a layer of wood veneer to it instead. If the top layer has no grain and has a plastic feel to it, it probably is formica.

You can remove formica with a hand held hair dry or clothes iron. Either would be used to heat the formica some as you peel it back with a putty knife. Use a cotton towel under the iron. Formica can break easily and leave an extremely sharp edge. I would recommend wearing gloves to protect your hands from these sharp edges.

If you remove the top, removing the veneer edge banding would make the process of hiding the edges of the substrate under the formica as well as the edges of the formica itself.

The top will need to be clean and smooth in order to apply new formica or wood veneer. Formica is generally applied with contact cement. The makers of contact cement make a contact cement remover to enable you to clean the old cement from the surface. The edge banding may well have been applied with contact cement, too.

You can buy edge banding in the veneer section of some stores as well as on line at places such as www.rockler.com. Sheet veneer is also available to use on the top if you want. The old top might have been formica because it was subject to much use and abuse. How you intend to use the piece once you have finished with it can temper your choice of material for the top.

Here is a site featuring different wood veneers and offering further information on using wood veneer.

http://www.vandykes.com/subcategory/90/

Check back if you would like more information.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: