counter top wall seperation repair

Old 03-10-04, 11:03 AM
B
bokeefe
Visiting Guest
Angry counter top wall seperation repair

House is 5 yrs old & kitchen lower kitchen cabinet splash board is now about 3/4" away from sheetrock - wondering what would be best way to remedy?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-04, 12:50 PM
F
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
The backsplash is made out of particle board and needs to be replaced. You can't fix a water damaged piece of particle board other than replacing it.

If it just flexed away from the wall and the particle board didn't explode like a sponge then you can put liquid nails behind it, measure the distance from bottom of the upper cabinets to the top of the splash and cut a piece of wood 1/4" bigger and force the back splash against the wall using the bottom of the upper cabinet as the brace for the piece of wood

piece of wood 3/4"x3"x whatever that dimension is.. probably about 14"

Old 03-10-04, 07:43 PM
B
bokeefe
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty certain the particle board is not swollen from water damage. I believe it has simply pulled away from the wall for some reason. The brace is a great idea coupled with the liquid nails - guess the only problem will be long term when the backsplash needs to be removed. Thanks again & open to any other ideas or opinions anyone may have so I can choose the best solution.

Old 03-10-04, 08:50 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Counter Top Back Splash

This might be a dumb question.....

How does one attach a back splash?

On a earlier post today, Mike commented that one that had peeled away, could be possibly pulled back to the wall with liquid nails.

Does this apply to new splash blocks as well?

I was planning to put a very small bead of silicone caulk on the the back splash and then screw it to the counter from the under side.

But now that I think about it... it sure would be easier to put a little liquid nails on the back side and the small bead of silicone on the bottom.

I am in the middle of making my mother-in-laws kitchen counters... so any advice to make this job go quicker will be appreciated.

Old 03-10-04, 11:01 PM
F
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
As far as attaching the back splash, I wood screw clamp a piece of plywood flat on top of the counter. I then measure the distance from the face of that piece to the face of the back splash while holding it against the wall. i then cut a piece of 3/4" ply x3" and force it in there to hold the splash against the wall.

The piece of wood I cut to use underneath the upper cabinets is to hold the back splash down to the countertop.

Put a bead of silicone under the backsplash where it meets the countertop so it gives it a water tight seal. Don't bother screwing it down, you're wasting your time.

I use Poly Seam Seal caulk. You can buy it at home depot. It's an adhesive caulk too. Use G.E. Type II 100% silicone. It works the best and smells the least. don't really try to wipe the silicone like you do regular caulk or you're going to have a mess on your hands. You can use your finger to spread it, but wait 24 hours til it dries and then go back with a razor blade very carefully and cut the excess caulk.

Understand?

Old 03-11-04, 06:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think I've got it...

Thanks for the instructions, this will save me a huge amout of time and wear and tear on the counters, because I won't have to roll them over to shoot the screws.

Old 03-11-04, 09:01 AM
F
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
diy steve?

I accept credit cards, cash, cashiers checks or money orders Just kiddin