Building rolling book shelves

Old 03-19-04, 02:20 PM
minaw
Visiting Guest
Building rolling book shelves

In an attempt to better use space in a room with many book shelves, I'd like to build some rolling book shelves. One wall would have permanent book shelves attached to it, then directly in front of it (no walkway) I'd like to have some rolling book shelves that may be moved left or right to gain access to the shelves behind them. It might be like this:

===============================
=====........=====........=====........=====

Above, "====" is a rolling shelf that may move left or right only.

Question: Have you seen anything like this before? Since each shelf is rather heavy, should I make them roll on wheels, maybe a track? Ideas?

thanks,

Old 03-19-04, 04:45 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Are you trying to make one bookcase sit infront of the other and slide right to left etc? Kinda like closet sliding doors?

If that's what you're talking about, I do hope you are familar with building cabinetry and have some good skills behind you.

Unless I'm just not understanding you properly.

Old 03-19-04, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This should be no problem if you have a hard surface floor (e.g. hardwood). Make the rolling bookcases with some substantial rollers and skirt them with a baseboard type molding. If they're very tall, I would be real careful how I loaded them, though. Keep as much weight as possible as low as possible. If you get them too top heavy, you may wind up wearing them.

I'm not sure I would do this if there are small kids in the house.

Old 03-19-04, 05:09 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
Dave? Am I understanding him correctly? It seems as though you pretty much had the same solution as per what I was thinking.

To get the hardware to do it right, well as a homeowner, that could be a bit tricky. I don't know if rockler sells it, but I know that Baer Supply sells it, but you have to be in the business to buy from them.

Old 03-19-04, 06:40 PM
C
It seems as if there were some way to install a track on the fixed cabinets similar to the one a library ladder uses, one high and one low, then mount a follower assembly of the library ladder genre on the backs of the free units on wheels that this would allow the free units to roll back and forth along the track on the wheels. The track would keep the units aligned and prevent tipping. The wheels would allow for movement.

Old 03-19-04, 07:34 PM
I'm thinking of some rollers under the cabinet. I put them under my entertainment center which weighs about 300# with the TV. You can make a 'skirt' from a baseboard molding to hide the wheels.

Tracks might be nice, but probably more trouble than they're worth.

Old 03-19-04, 07:47 PM
C
I was thinking about the tracks to prevent tipping, if the unit were tall enough.

Old 03-20-04, 05:41 PM
S
There are V-grooved casters intended to ride on angle-iron tracks. Check the W.W. Grainger book for availability.

Old 03-22-04, 07:32 AM
minaw
Visiting Guest
Well, before this last weekend I was thinking of having the shelves move left and right. After input here and talking to a couple friends, it sounds like building shelves like those in office 'record storage rooms' would make more sense. Something like this:

===================
===================
===================

===================
===================

Each set of "======" above is a large shelf 7' tall, 8' wide, and maybe 20" deep. The entire shelf would slide so a single aisle exposes the front and back of two shelves.

Several, ball-bearing type wheels would be needed under each shelf depending on calculated weight loading. The room has thin carpet currently, but I'm still thinking of a slightly raised floor with steel tracks to guide the shelves. A guide track on the ceiling might be helpful, but if the shelves are deep enough they may not be necessary. They'll be heavy enough they're basically impossible to tip even slightly when full of books.

The people at the local Woodsmith store said to send in pictures when I have it all built.

Old 03-22-04, 05:39 PM
C
This version should take less hardware and be simpler to build and use. Good idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: