Bed Posts

Old 04-29-04, 05:54 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bed Posts

I am making a bed for a wedding present and have a question regarding the bed posts. In the past I have made solid post by laminating the boards together.
The new bed calls for a larger post which would require a lot of laminating to make it solid.
I have seen box posts in other funiture and have never done it.
The question is if I make boxes, how do I anchor the cross pieces and is the box strong enough to hang the side rails on?
Also, in the past I have used oak for 90% of my projects. This bed will be stained Java which is very dark and would be extremely heavy. Is there a better wood I could use that will be strong enough for this project?
I have a picture of it but I don't know how to post the image here.

Old 04-29-04, 06:14 AM
C
You could fabricate a hollow post using a lock miter or lock rabbet joint. These give large gluing surface. Using 8/4 material would give a sturdy post. The post being glued the entire length will create strength along the entire length.

Oak is an excellent wood for furniture. Mahogany, cherry, and many other hardwoods are well-suited for furniture. Much of the decision depends upon the look you desire.

If the stain you will use is too dark, lighten the stain or buy a lighter shade to avoid the piece looking too heavy from the final color, if that is what you mean by your comment.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-04, 06:47 AM
D
I still need to connect the cross pieces to the posts. The sided to side strength will come from this connection. If the box is hollow, how do I connect it. These cross pieces will be most likely 1-1/2" thick and 4" wide.
I plan on using 3/4".

Old 04-29-04, 07:05 AM
C
You could laminate the inside thicker where the cross piece will mount and use mortise and tenon.

Old 04-29-04, 07:13 AM
D
I gotta think about that one. I may as well make them solid then. I just wanted them larger than 3". I can only run 4" max on my jointer so I thought the box would work. I'm still not sure of the strength of the cross pieces.

Old 04-29-04, 09:31 AM
R
dogman1953,

To anchor the stretcher between the two pedestals on my dining room table, which is oak, by the way, I used hanger bolts. You know, they have wood threads on one end and machine threads on the other. I screwed the wood thread ends into the stretcher and the machine bolts pass throw the pedestal wall and are fastened with fender washers and nuts on the inside.

I hope I understand correctly that the box post would be similar to my pedestals and your cross pieces are similar to my stretcher. If so, and if you will be able to get a wrench to the nuts, this may work for you.

Good luck,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: