help with shelving

Old 09-10-04, 08:33 PM
black
Visiting Guest
help with shelving

I am really not sure what I am doing so wrong. I do know I am frustrated. Hopefully, you can give me some insight. I am trying to do a simple shelving project. (I've never done this whole home-improvement thing on my own before.) I am trying to put some shelving in a closet. I can't seem to get the bracing up without splitting the wood. I also keep stripping screws and I'm not sure why. I'm using a pretty low power screwdriver. (Are there different grades of metal used for screws... could I have cheap ones?) I am using particle board shelving, 1x3's for the bracing, and #6 phillips 1-1/2" screws.
Sorry to waste your time on such trivial things; but any help you can give is most appreciated.

Old 09-10-04, 11:22 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
be sure to drill a hole almost the diameter of the screw in the bracing where the screws are going to go.You can even drill through the bracing and into the wall at the same time. Should make the screw go in easier for a low power driver. Try to put the screws into the studs in the walls if you can. When you say strip the screws, do you mean the phillips head strips out? If so, make sure you are pressing the bit(a good one) into the screw fairly hard. If it hits something and stops turning,try to pull your driver away as quick as possible.If you mean the screw goes in and then spins, it is likely the screws are to short or you are not hitting anything but drywall or maybe even hardwall (like concrete)thats breaking off. You could use a plastic anchor if thats the case. I always prefere hitting the stud.

Old 09-11-04, 05:00 AM
S
From your local hdw. store you can purchase bits that will both pilot and countersink in one operation, for the size of the screw you are using. Which, by the way, are too short.
1x3=3/4" + 1/2" drywall = 1 1/4"
Use 2" screws.

Old 09-11-04, 07:11 AM
black
Visiting Guest
thanks to both of you. (I am stripping the heads of the screws.) I will try again, with longer screws and pre-drilled holes.

Old 09-11-04, 07:45 AM
S
If you are stripping the heads, you may be using the wrong driver bit.
Use coarce thread drywall screws, they are harder then the common zink plated screws, and a #2 bit.

Old 09-12-04, 08:03 PM
Black-

There ain't no such thing as trivial problems. Some of us just figured out how to deal with them earlier than others.

I think I see a couple of problems with what you're doing.

1. 1-1/4" screws probably aren't long enough. Your screws need to go through your bracing (3/4") and the drywall (1/2") and then into a stud. You should be using 2" or 2-1/2" screws.

2. Do you know where the studs are? If you're spinning the screws, it's probably because they're only catching in drywall and that's not going to hold. Get a 'stud finder' and locate the studs then screw the 1x3's through the drywall and into a stud. If you absolutely must have a screw where there's no stud, use a wall anchor.

3. To avoid splitting your 1x3, drill a 1/8" pilot hole before you run in the screw. This is particularly important near the ends of the 1x3. You should also keep the pilot holes near the centerline of your 1x3.

4. If you're using those black drywall screws, try using deck screws instead. Deck screws are much less prone to breaking off if you hit something really hard. Deck screws take a special bit (they look like #2 phillips, but they aren't) and it really holds the screw well.

Good Luck

Old 09-14-04, 11:37 AM
black
Visiting Guest
gosh... I feel like I might actually know what I am doing now! THANKS!

Old 09-14-04, 07:54 PM
Wrong answer Black...........Personally, I'm never more dangerous than when I think I know what I'm doing

Actually, we're all glad to help in here. Please don't hesitate to post any question you have. If you stick around long enough, you'll probably find yourself answering someone elses question.

Old 09-18-04, 08:34 PM
black
Visiting Guest
Talking woohoo!

The shelving is in successfully and it all went as smoothly as I originally thought it should! I predrilled the holes, and only had one small split out of 14 boards. I avoided the bargain bin when I purchased new, longer screws and didn't strip or break one! Boy, sure doesn't take much to make me happy! Now I just have to paint and I'm on to the next project.

Thanks for your help.... I would have been lost without it... seriously. (The guy at Lowe's was not helpful at all!)

(I want to convert a lower kitchen cabinet drawer into a drop-down, slide-out tray to put the dogs' bowls on at meal time... I'm sure I'll be asking about that one when the time comes!)

Until then...

Old 09-20-04, 07:45 AM
Another lesson, Black......be careful about advice from big box employees. Some of them can be pretty good, but far too many barely know where things are located - and virtually nothing about how they're used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: