making a shaker door

Old 09-29-04, 09:36 PM
earlofessex
Visiting Guest
making a shaker door

I'm going to make a simple shaker door, and wanted some advice on whether I'm doing this right. The door will be 24"x36" (cover for my electrical panel). I bought 1x3 red oak for the frame, and 1/4" birch plywood for the panel. I'm planning to route a 1/2" groove in the frame pieces for the panel, biscuit join the frame, and cut the panel to be 1/8" smaller than the frame to allow for expansion. The panel would sit free in the frame.

I'm wondering whether I picked the right wood for the frame (for a painted door)? Is plywood a good choice for a panel this size? Is cutting the panel 1/8" smaller than the frame the right size? Should the panel be attached to the frame?

I'm open to any other advice. Thx!

Old 10-02-04, 07:43 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The 1/4" panel won't require 1/2" groove. It is not actually 1/4" thick. Make the groove narrower and 1/2" deep. 1/8" overall smaller will be fine. You can attach a plywood panel to the frame. Plywood is quite stable and your large door would benefit from the attachment. Attach the panel at the ends. Finish the panel before installation so that any shrinkage in the frame does not expose any unfinished wood.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-05-04, 11:11 AM
tim_gardner
Visiting Guest
I'd use tongue and groove to make the frame. On the stiles you could center a 1/4" groove the entire length and use it for both the tongue on the rail and also the panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: