Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Installing crown moulding... a job for professionals or DIYs??

Old 10-20-04, 12:53 PM
steveswife
Visiting Guest

We've purchased some inexpensive primed crown moulding to install in our basement. We have problems where the ceiling and the walls meet due to a previous drop ceiling. Thought we'd solve it by hiding it with crown moulding.

Is crown moulding difficult to install??? Is it a job better left to professionals? Would we need a trim carpenter? Are carpenters even interested in such a small job?

Thanks.

Old 10-20-04, 01:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing crown molding

Installing crown molding is a DIY project. All you need to do is rent a mitre saw. There are lots of instructions on the internet with pictures showing you how. Do a search for "installing crown molding."

Old 10-20-04, 02:26 PM
steveswife
Visiting Guest
Thanks.. I've heard conflicting opinions. Some say only a professional trim carpenter can get it in correctly, some say it's a DIY project! DH has dabbled in woodworking before. He does have a mitre saw. He's concerned about using caulk on the moulding while hanging?? I did print out some info for him off the internet. Looks like a foreign language to me

Oh, thanks for the tips on the microfiber couch!

Old 10-20-04, 08:41 PM
C
A handy site is www.compoundmiter.com

Old 10-21-04, 07:02 AM
Crown molding isn't all that difficult to install, but it will take a little practice. I have a book I found at Home Depot that you can get at www.compoundmiter.com. It does a great job of explaining how to do this.

Since you're using the inexpensive primed crown, get a couple of extra pieces and follow the directions in the book exactly. You'll probably mess up a few cuts, but that's how you learn.

You'll definitely need to caulk after the crown is installed since newly installed crown (as well as baseboards and chair rails) prove beyond all doubt that there ain't no such thing as a flat wall. You want to nail it just enough to keep it securely in place. Trying to nail down every gap will drive you bananas.

Old 10-21-04, 08:34 AM
steveswife
Visiting Guest
Thank you, Dave.. I think I'll check our local library and see if they have a copy. My husband is somewhat handy with a saw and woodworking. Not an expert by any means (he's a sheet metal worker!)

He's just concerned about the caulking part. He's not the neatest caulker!

Thank you again... Hey, wanna come over and install it??

Old 10-21-04, 10:41 AM
Sure, I'll install it. Give me your location and I'll shoot you a quote. My fees are merely exorbitant.............not outrageous. We could also work out a swap. I'm putting crown in 5 rooms for a customer next week and have to deal with some 12' ceilings and those rounded corners. You'll have to bring your own ladder.

Caulking is like any other skill.........it takes practice. Use a good quality painters caulk (I like the DAP brand) and don't put it on too heavy. It's easier too add a bit more than to mess around with a lot of excess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: