Wood stand for heavy cement laundry sink

Old 10-21-04, 04:55 PM
gpattins
Visiting Guest
Question Wood stand for heavy cement laundry sink

We are currently remodelling our basement and one of the rooms we're doing is the laundry room. We have an original double cement laundry sink with "Seattle Laundry Supply" etched on the front. It is currently sitting in a tacky metal stand, and I want my husband to build me a nice wood stand for it to sit in.

Now, you might say, "just jackhammer it to bits and start again". I, however, would like to retain as much of our 1913 Craftsman as possible. So, I have visions of a beautiful cherry or fir stand to go with the house.

A couple questions - should we be choosing a different wood, like teak, because of the proximity to water? Does anyone have plans for anything like this? Are we going to be able to move it without breaking it? or our backs?

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-21-04, 06:06 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your vintage sink is in working order (and not cracked near the drain as so many were), you are wise in trying to preserve it. My inclination would be to build a cabinet around the supporting structure to avoid having to remove the sink from its plumbing and supports (risking damage) and designing a new cabinet or stand that can support its weight.

If water exposure is a concern, solid wood is preferable to veneer/osb or veneer/plywood. You could put the legs or base on ceramic or cement footings to protect against washer overflow.

Old 10-21-04, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As Razz stated, if the sink is in working condition (as far as having no leaks) you could build a wood stand for it.

I would build a solid structural support out of dimensional lumber such as 2x4's and/or 4x4's, or a combination of the two, then surround the support to dress it up with veneered plywood and trim that you could stain or paint in any color that you want. After staining/painting, thoroughly seal with a spar urethane like the Helmsman brand. This is of course assuming that the sink does not leak in any way.

As far as moving it, your probably more likelyto break your back B4 the sink breaks.

Good luck!

Herm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: