nailing balusters to rail cap

Old 11-02-04, 11:22 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nailing balusters to rail cap

I'm installing balusters that are cut at a 40 degree slope and nailed to the rail cap at the bottom (and the railing at the top.) I can't get my brad nailer in between the balusters (there's only 4" of space) to nail on the sloped face of the balusters. What size nail can I hand nail it in or would something like trim screws work? I don't want a big hole to fill and the baluster needs to be solid.

Old 11-02-04, 01:04 PM
C
Is this a deck or indoors?

Old 11-03-04, 07:02 AM
M
It's indoors.

Old 11-03-04, 11:19 AM
C
They nail into place? How novel.

Here is a typical installation.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/hi_stairs/...918591,00.html

I would screw into the bottoms from the underside of the rail or bore holes to receive them, and drill access holes for the tops or plough a trough in the handrail and use spacer blocks to fill in around the balusters after tacking them into place.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-04, 03:29 PM
M
Balusters are not necessarily needed for support of the handrail, but to keep little ones and pets from falling over the edge of the staircase. Typically, when the knee wall is on an incline, the blausters nails into the bottom and fit into holes drilled into the handrail at the top. The challenge I have is using a nailer since I only have 4" of space in front of where I need to nail.

Old 11-03-04, 07:32 PM
S
Originally Posted by markdiy
Balusters are not necessarily needed for support of the handrail, but to keep little ones and pets from falling over the edge of the staircase. Typically, when the knee wall is on an incline, the blausters nails into the bottom and fit into holes drilled into the handrail at the top. The challenge I have is using a nailer since I only have 4" of space in front of where I need to nail.
Boy, that certainly clears that up. For thirty + years I've been laying out the treads, drilling for the dowel that holds the bottom of the balusters in place, cutting the bevels to fit into the channel in the bottom of the hand rail, then cutting and fitting pressure blocks to hold the balusters in place and nailing the blocks with two finish nails.

Why you might ask, didn't you nail the top of the baluster.
Well, from time to time, they need to be replaced.

Old 11-04-04, 07:24 AM
M
Tough crowd... Here is a photo of what I'm trying to achieve.

[http://www.creativebasements.com/stairway.htm]

Since the bottom of the balusters run at an angle, I figured toe-nailing them in would accomplish the necessary results. This appears to be standard practice in the rest of my home and the new construction homes throughout the area when the balusters are not landing on the outside of a flat stair tread.

And yes, I plan on tacking a nail in at the top as well where the baluster fits into the hole.

Old 11-04-04, 11:04 PM
S
Thanks, however, it won't open and I understand the process.
Mine still works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: