How to repair staircase sqeak

Old 11-12-04, 06:48 AM
adrianlee
Visiting Guest
How to repair staircase sqeak

I just ripped my carpet up and nwo the staircase is sqeaking really bad. I can access staircase from underneath but I do not know how to elliminate the sqeak.
It is all wood construction and I tried to nail it, and it does not work.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-04, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Squeaks are usually caused by the boards rubbing together. Since you can access underneath the staircase, have someone walk each step and look for movement of the boards. You can put shims between the step and the stringer. Do not drive the shim in too far or you may raise the step. If this works, then you can remove the shim, add an adhesive and reinstall the shim for a permanent fix. Good luck.

Old 11-12-04, 07:15 AM
Are you sure you're nailing at the actual source of the squeaks? Nails should work for a while but will eventually 'loosen' due to the flexing of the staircase. Screws 'clamp' things together so they stay put. Don't use standard drywall screws since they're very brittle and the heads will probably eventually snap off at the unthreaded shanks.

If you're recarpeting the stairs, just run some deck screws into the treads wherever they're squeaking. The pad and carpet will hide the screwheads.

If the stairs are already carpeted - or you have hardwood treads, a company called McFeely's carries a special screw with a 'break-away' head just for this purpose. When you drive the screw, the head breaks off leaving a small hole which would have to be patched and finished in hardwood.

Old 11-13-04, 07:22 AM
E
Using screws is the way to go. The fact that nails were used in the first place has allowed the squeaking to happen. If you are recarpeting it is the best time to look over the whole floor that you are recarpeting, maybe fasten down other boards, nail down any existing nails that are popping up. I just recarpeted my stairs in the spring and spent days trying to fix a squeak. Turns out it was a bad connection between the joist and the riser of the top step. Put a 6 inch lag bolt in and fixed a squeak that had haunted me from the day I bought the house.

Eric