Building a bar

Old 11-16-04, 10:23 AM
logan00
Visiting Guest
Building a bar

Does anyone know where I could get some plans on how to build a bar? I want to build a bar in my basement, nothing extravegant, but was curious if anyone had any ideas on where to start.

Old 11-16-04, 10:33 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
What kind of bar, wet or dry? What exactly do you want to get out of it? How big? What shape?

Old 11-16-04, 01:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just curious, did you try any of the links in the very first "sticky" thread in this forum entitled "Free woodworking plans and do-it-yourself projects"?

I'm pretty sure you will be able to find something there, but here is a link to a couple of places that have plans that you can buy...

http://www.bar-gear.com/

http://www.precision-images.com/

http://www.homewetbar.com/

Hope this helps

Old 11-16-04, 02:11 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I'm currently building a 2 stage bar, meaning you have the inside at 36" countertop height and then it steps up to another countertop at 42" for the people sitting on the bar stools.

The whole exterior is covered with raised panels, fluted columns and corbels. The interior has 3 cabinets, end panels and fillers. In regard to the appliances, there is a keg-o-rator and a drawer combo fridge and freezer.

It's a "U" shape that has a 45deg clip on the out and inside. This butts into a "Put together yourself" wine room that is refridgerated and holds 2,600 bottles of wine. No, I didn't add too many zeros.

If you'd like, I'll take some pics and post em tomm, when I have more of it completed.

Let me know.

Old 11-16-04, 02:33 PM
logan00
Visiting Guest
Sawdustguy, I would be grateful to see your pictures.

Also, I will lok at the free links to see if I see anything I can use.

Old 11-16-04, 02:58 PM
K
kpm
Home bar

I am also building a bar, no sink, but it has a lower 'drink prep' counter, a cabinet, and a slot for a small refridgerator. I also installed lights, an electric outlet, and casters that raise and lower the bar off it's wheels to make it easy to move around. I will post some pics later, I am going to stain and urethane it this week.

Old 11-16-04, 03:10 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Kpm,

If I may make a suggestion to your choice of finish:

In personal preference, I don't like the look of urathane. In my opinion, it looks to plastic-ish. Have you looked into purchasing spray equipment? You can spray a finish called Conversion Varnish, which is better than polyurathane and will withstand water to a certain degree. You can purchase it from Sherwin Williams. In my opinion, sprayed on finishes look 10x better than brushed on.

If your only choice is urathane, might I recommend you go to a paint store and buy either an Ox Hair or Horses Hair brush? It will help elevate any brush marks and you shouldn't have any problems with the hairs getting stuck in the finish. Clean with Mineral Spirits/Paint Thinner. Stir contents, let settle for 10-15 mins to help elevate any bubbles. You will get some, but it will "Help" prevent a lot. Also, only brush in one direction. By brushing back and forth creates bubbles also.

For stain, I don't recommend the "Yellow Can" because it's about 80% Oil and 20% Pigment which is what makes the color. Try a stain such as Pratt and Lambert. You can use this link to find a store that carries it near you.

http://www.prattandlambert.com/where/where.asp

Good luck and looking forward to seeing pics.

P.s. Is this a personal project or for a customer?

Old 11-16-04, 09:49 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/creati...bum?.dir=/3adc

Here is the bar in progress and a pic of what it will look like from one angle.

Old 11-17-04, 05:45 AM
K
kpm
Sawdustguy,

I've never tried the spray product you are talking about, but what do you mean by 'plastic' finish? I know some other spray products tend to leave a grainy texture on areas that are oversprayed, have you had a problem with this? Also, I tried applying my first coat of stain last night, but I wasn't quite happy with the color. I did use the 'yellow can' you mentioned, but I'm considering using a darker color. The bar is made of solid pine, and "natural" finish is a little bit lighter than what I had expected. Let me know if you have any more suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Thanks,
kpm

Old 11-17-04, 09:48 AM
logan00
Visiting Guest
Dawdustguy

I am unable to access your link, it tells me the file is no longer accessible

Old 11-17-04, 01:43 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I just tried it and it worked. If you want, send me a private message with your e-mail addy and I'll send it on that way.

Old 11-17-04, 06:56 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Ok, sorry about that all. I realized what I didn't do. You should be able to view it now.

Old 11-18-04, 08:53 AM
logan00
Visiting Guest
Sawdustguy, that looks great, similar to what I would like to do. THe only problem is that I am not that handy and am not sure if I could make mine look anywhere near as good as yours. I am finishing my basement, but building a bar requires more detail. Maybe once start looking at some plans, but, great job.

Old 11-18-04, 04:55 PM
K
kpm
bar pics

Wow, that looks like it will be amazing when it is finished, Sawdustguy. Here is a link to some pics of my bar. I made it for my garage, it is all pine, I made a 2x2 frame and then attached 8" wide pine siding to the sides. The top is a laminated pine panel you can find at a home improvement store, and I used a router to make the edges from 3/4" pine boards. I ended up spending about $300.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kpmason72/my_photos

Last edited by kpm; 11-18-04 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 05:15 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Sorry, but neither one of those links work.

Logan, you're more than capable of doing what I'm doing. Trust me, it's a lot easier than it looks. If you break it down, all it is,,,,,,,,,,, A wall built 4" wide with "acting studs" to keep it at the same height the whole way, screwed together. Then 3 cabinets with end panels and fillers. THAT'S IT!

If you need further details on how I made certain aspects of it, I'll draw and email it to you. If you're unsure of how to make something, I can either do a mock-up and take a pic or send you drawings.

Just let me know.

Old 11-18-04, 07:09 PM
K
kpm
bar pics link

I believe the link will work now, sorry.

Old 11-18-04, 08:12 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
KPM,

That looks really neat! It always amazes me how peoples minds think differently in design, etc.

Keep up the good work!

Old 11-19-04, 07:10 AM
logan00
Visiting Guest
KPM, that does look good, is the top waterproof?

Sawdustguy, I would appreciate that, let me know how we can exchange email addresses. I was initially thinking of buying a bar, but the bars I have been looking at cost around $2000. Obviously, if I can build something, it would cost a lot less, and be more gratifying because I built it.

Old 11-19-04, 01:32 PM
K
kpm
Finally Finished Bar

Finally, I am done. Yes the top is waterproof, I used a little bit of wood filler under the edge pieces, then made sure I put urethane in all the corners. I put on two coats of urethane, sanding in between coats, and then sanding after the final coat with 440 grit paper. I was very pleased with the results, although the brush on urethane took a lot more work than I expected. Maybe next time I'll invest in some spray equipment. Here are some pictures of the finished bar, Thanks for all of your comments guys, let me know if you have any questions.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kpmaso...bum?.dir=/e57c

Old 11-19-04, 04:17 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I do hope that you're going to get good use out of it.

Turned out great! I noticed you said "Waterproof" Poly isn't waterproof. You'd need to use a finish called "Resin Pour" Which is where you pour the finish on and it levels itsself. You need to make sure the top is 100% level too. For your purposes, it should work out just fine.

I'll take an amereto stoned sour.

Old 11-19-04, 06:44 PM
K
kpm
Bar

Thank you for clarifying, Sawdustguy. I guess what I meant was "spillprroof", in that it will keep spilled drinks off the floor. Let us know when you finish your project, I look forward to seeing some pics Well, time to break in the bar, got it done just in time for the 'old oaken bucket' football game tomorrow.

Old 11-20-04, 04:16 PM
All this bar talk is making me thirsty!

KPM,

That turned out great!!

Sawdustguy,

Hopefully I'll be by your shop in time to see the bar you're building before you install it.

I've used that resin pour stuff, and swear by it as far as bar tops go, and I've built quite a few. Several of the bars I made had old whiskey bottle labels or coins that I covered with the stuff.

Old 11-20-04, 06:37 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I ordered the panels and door/drawer fronts yesterday, so they're going to take about 9 working days to get to me.

You're welcome to stop by ne ways. When those panels come in, they'll be on the bar for one day, and then it has to be immediately broken down to do the finish work and get it installed.

They're having a party of 90-100 people and obviously, the rich are friends with mostly rich people, soooooo. Great Opportunity For Advertising!

Just met with a client tonight and sealed that deal too. They want a kitchen.

I'm meeting with another lady next wednesday for another bar.

I bought this program and am now finally learning how to use it. I did the kitchen design on it and it blew them away. They said, "You've Impressed the heck out of us".

Here are examples of what the program can do. It gives me a cut list, amount of sheets I need, does job pricing, etc. The whole deal. I tell it how I build and it places the cabinets according to how I told it to build.

http://www.planitsolutions.com/webit...lery/index.htm

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks

Old 11-22-04, 01:47 PM
K
kpm
resin pour

Alright, the bar worked great, but I'm a little nervous the poly finish won't last. Is the resin pour you use a two part epoxy? Also, I've heard of using a lighter or propane torch to remove bubbles in resin pour apps, is this common? I'm tryin to decide whether to try that or just use another couple coats of urethane. Do you think it would work alright just pouring right over top of my poly?

Old 11-22-04, 03:40 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Just stick with what you have and you'll be fine. Don't try to put one type of finish on a different one. Buy the cheap paper coasters and use those.

If you get GOOD spray equipment, I'd then recommend you use Conversain Varnish.

Old 11-26-04, 11:04 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Old 12-01-04, 04:52 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Here is the pic of the wine room that my bar is going to connect to.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/creati...lbum?.dir=3adc

Old 12-03-04, 07:51 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/creati...lbum?.dir=3adc

A better look of the outside wall. If you look closely, you'll see the foot for the brass rail that wraps around and also the base molding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: