Molding or moulding online source

Old 11-28-04, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Molding or moulding online source

This is my last resort . Does anybody know of an online source for more unusual OAK moldings? I'm building a mantel, from oak and oak veneers and although pushing it, I would like to have it done in the next month. I cannot find anything locally other than one profile of crown, chair rail, and shoe (all from L*wes.) I only need at most about 15' of each profile and I would like 4 different profiles (this is following a design found in the March '04 copy of Fine Homebuilding, BTW.) For this reason obviously it would not be cost effective to have them milled, and also I do NOT at this time own a larger router (I have an older 3/4 hp handheld only) or a router table so that I cannot make more interesting profiles. I was hoping to find something off the shelf I could do this with, can't seem to find it locally and I've been looking online all day and having little luck.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-04, 07:58 AM
Any chance you could come to San Jose, CA? We have a great store here that carries a great selection of hardwoods and moldings although they're pretty pricey.

Seriously though, are there any hardwood suppliers in your area? They're probably you're best resource.

Old 11-29-04, 08:06 AM
Superior in Van Nuys? They have a very impressive online site (Superior Moulding ) as far as local ... been there done that, same ol' same ol' .

Old 11-29-04, 08:22 AM
Van Nuys is about 400 miles south of San Jose.

I was talking about a place called Southern Lumber. They have a web site, but I don't think they show a lot of the moldings they carry. (I know that they frown on taking pictures of their stock )

Have you searched for 'hardwood suppliers'? A few months ago, I was looking for some special plywood and found several sites that would ship stuff. I don't recall any moldings but they might be available........at a price.

Old 11-29-04, 04:38 PM
Got one . Baird Brothers in Ohio. They'll ship UPS in lengths under 8' (6' is the max I need) and I don't see any kind of requirement for a minimum order posted on their site. I'll call some more places tomorrow to make absolutely sure that I don't have anything available locally. BTW, what brought this up was "oak base cap" as a search phrase. Go figure

Old 11-29-04, 05:33 PM
The shipping may cost as much (or more) than the molding, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 12-03-04, 02:10 PM
Talking

Just wanted to update on this. My molding just came a little while ago and I am one happy camper! The molding was a tad under $62 and shipping was $28 (UPS weight was 23# for a 7' package.) I ordered on Monday, and it's here on Friday, and this is some of the best molding I've seen, bar none. To me it was worth the 28 bucks not having to go running all over town, and calling another person ("No, we don't sell small quantities, wholesale to the trade only...") And let me say again this stuff is gorgeous! Now I can get to work on that mantel!