Quarter Round trim on 45 degree corner help!

Old 12-31-04, 02:59 PM
moparmaniac
Visiting Guest
Quarter Round trim on 45 degree corner help!

Hi, I'm trying to finish up the trim for our laminate wood floor we put down.

The last area I have to place trim around is our fireplace.

The fireplace comes out from the side wall about 9" then makes a 45 degree angle and is about 6' across then makes another 45 degree back to the other wall for another 9".

I've tried and tried to get the two pieces to match up at the corner with no luck.

Could anyone help me figure this out...

Seems when I cut the trim at an angle, it makes it a longer edge to mate up with the other side which is then too narrow (or too short). I just can't figure out the magic angle..or if it's even possible to get them to match to get a 45 degree corner.

Thanks!!

Old 12-31-04, 03:07 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Well, I guess my question for you is:

Are you sure your saw is calibrated properly?

Another question is. Are you Attempting to cut it with the saw set at 22.5 deg angle, which is half of 45. The other thing is, if the angle isn't ON THE MONEY at 45 degs, a 22.5 deg angle ISN'T going to work!

Old 12-31-04, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Like said but you might want to take a protractor and check if you have the true 45o there for a 22.5o cut

ED

Old 01-03-05, 01:03 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Mopar, how did it work out?

I always use test pieces and slowly adjust my angle to where they meet up properly.

If you have a perfectly Square square, and you set your miter saw to align with it at "0" there should be no reason why you can't find the proper angle. Even if your saw was off a little, you'll still get the angle, but what it's showing as the angle on the saw wouldn't be what the actual "Number/Angle" really is.

Old 01-04-05, 09:33 PM
J
Test pieces are definately your friend. There is a pretty neat outside miter trick in the latest issue of 'This Old House'. I won't try to explain it as it took me a couple of reads to get the jist of it. Its in an article on crown moulding but the concept will work on other types of moulding. I'm in the process of using it on some 45s on baseboard. In process because I found that I have some differences in material from 2 different suppliers so don't be afraid. I'll know better after this weekend when I get back on the project.

Hope this helps,

Jester

Old 01-05-05, 10:45 AM
S
Quick question - are you using an electric table saw or a manual miter box saw?

Old 01-10-05, 11:43 AM
If it's electric miter saw you are using, try and make the cuts without re-adjusting the sawblade,
It may be inconvienent, and you will probably have to hold the wood upside down, but it will help match the angles up, even if they are a degree or two off.

but this avoids the possibility that the first cut is off by a degree, you adjust the blade and are off another degree or two with the second cut.

If it's a hand miter box... see if a neighbor has an electric one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: