Oak Lumber

Old 01-09-05, 04:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oak Lumber

I have an oak entertainment unit which was 2 towers, a bridge to connect the towers and a top. I have the center channel of my home theater on the bridge(shelf). There is a lot of space above the center speaker that is wasted so I want to put another shelf in the unit.

To utilize the predrilled holes for the adjustable shelf that it came with, I need the piece of oak to be 1" X 15" X 48". I have not been able to find oak in a 15" depth.

Is that size available?

Thanks

Old 01-09-05, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most shelves are made with veneered plywood with either a solid piece of wood attached to the front of the shelf, or the plywood is edgebanded in an edgebanding made with wood to match. You need to be able to cut a piece of oak ply to accomplish your additional shelf.

You can buy oak edgebanding at the big box home improvement stores that has adhesive already applied. You just need an iron, and to apply even pressure to make sure the adhesive doesn't come loose from the edge of the plywood, and trim to size. Then stain or finish to match your existing entertainment unit, and apply clear finish.

Old 01-09-05, 05:06 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I couldn't have said what Herm did any better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: