CUTTING 2x4's

Old 02-15-05, 03:03 PM
LeVeque
Visiting Guest
CUTTING 2x4's

I need to cut a 2-foot long 2x4 longitudinally, at a 45-degree angle. Is there any way of doing this without buying a table saw. I do have a hacksaw and a circular saw, but I cannot think of a safe way to do this.

Thanks

Old 02-15-05, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 775 Votes on 716 Posts
screw a piece of wood onto the 2x4 as a rip guide, and use your circular saw.

Old 02-16-05, 03:22 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The saw may even have come with a guide. It can be done freehand, if the saw and you are old friends. Note the line you mark will not correspond with the saw's sighting notch for this cut - watch the blade.

Use a top step and your foot to support the 2x4, cut 2/3 along, then turn around to face downstairs. Restart the saw inside the cut.

If the piece is just too short to steady with your foot, screw it to something expendable you can stand on.

Old 02-16-05, 06:43 AM
M
Table Saw

If you use your circular saw, you may also want to screw the 2x4 dowm to something, like a bench, to make it more stable.

Is there anyone you can borrow a table saw from or bring the piece to so they can cut it? A table saw is by far the easiest and safest way to make this cut.

Old 02-21-05, 05:39 PM
LeVeque
Visiting Guest
success

I actually achieved the saw cut with my circular saw. What I did was clamp the 2x4 to my vice...I kept it high on the clamp so the saw could lean flush against the wood. It worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help

Old 02-22-05, 04:03 PM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Cutting framing lumber at any angle with a CS is relatively easy.
You can scribe a line on the stock with a protractor and follow it with your CS, or you can use one of these guides:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...&FamilyID=3541

Just lay where you want to make your cut and draw your saw through.

Aarno

Old 02-22-05, 11:25 PM
K
He was ripping with the saw *tilted* though, and on a short bit of wood.

Old 02-23-05, 08:16 AM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Kobuchi said: "He was ripping with the saw *tilted* though, and on a short bit of wood."

If your post is in reference to mine up above, then it could be I didn't fully understand LeVeque's question - especially the "longitudinally" part.

If the question is how to safely crosscut a piece of stock 'on a bevel', then I'd suggest simply tilt the blade in relation to the CS body - then use that guide (or one similar) and cut away. Obviously, any piece of stock should be secured before cutting. Freehand cutting is best left to either experienced pro's - or to the foolish.

Aarno

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: