Large electric wire spool??

Old 02-17-05, 07:56 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Large electric wire spool??

I have one of those spools that cable comes on, and was wondering how to to finish the top so as to be able to use as a work center. (5ft dia. 38in high)
I remember seeing one where the top was finished and looked like a piece of glass; very smooth. I have a large workshop, so I would be able to use this as a round workbench. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Hut

Old 02-17-05, 09:21 PM
C
You may be thinking of bar top epoxy resin to make the thick smooth finish on the wood top.

Old 02-17-05, 09:26 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Bob, Friend,

Just an FYI, you have your name in your "Signature", so you don't have to type it each time.

Old 02-18-05, 04:40 AM
KY Joe
Visiting Guest
Spool bench

Bob,
You have a GREAT idea that I bet will create a lot of interest. A couple of years ago I helped a friend turn a somewhat smaller spool into a wonderful coffee table! Tim and I resurfaced the top with quality birch plywood and then put on about 6 coats of polyurethane! I don't know that a finish like polyurelthan would be tough enough to withstand the beating a bench takes in a workshop! That is my 2 cents, good luck with your project!

Old 02-18-05, 07:42 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
you can purchase polymere at paint store
it's a 2 parts product.

cheers

pg

Old 02-18-05, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
Have you considered formica, or are you set on being able to see the wood?

Old 02-18-05, 11:05 AM
B
Thanks guys!

I appreciate your input! Chris, is "Bar Top Epoxy" the same as the "Polymere" that pgtek mentioned??
Tow Guy, I really had not considered "Formica". That is an excellant idea.
I think it will depend on how the wood looks after I start sanding.
Ky Joe - You're right. I think it'll make a great bench. The top is so big I can walk around it and I've thought about having individual spaces by using dividers of some kind. Lot of thought running through my head.

Again, Thanks,

(Mike, thanks for the tip)

Old 02-19-05, 01:07 PM
K
"Bar top epoxy" is a two-part polymer, yes.

Electrical spoon coffee tables, bar top lacquer, that is so hippy... brings back good memories.

If you leave the base as wide as the top, then three not four little feet will prevent wobble when moved around on an uneven floor.

Old 02-19-05, 05:33 PM
If you aren't into pretty, and can deal with another 3/4" of height, just cut a piece of plywood to fit and screw it down. You could even make the top 3"-4" bigger than the spool if you want the extra size. Round over the edge of the plywood and give it a couple of coats of poly and you're in business.

Of course, that's a purely functional solution.........if you're into pretty, just ignore this post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: