Cherrywood

Old 02-24-05, 03:08 PM
greenlincoln
Visiting Guest
Cherrywood

I am in the process if making cabinet doors (with glass inserts). I've already re-faced the cabinet carcasses with figured Makore (African cherry). My intention was to do the doors in solid cherry, but being the newbie that I am, I had no idea how costly even just 1X3s are ($5/linear ft.).

Can any one make a recommendation for a tight-grained, smooth wood similar to Cherry that I could use as an alternative? I will stain and finish with Minwax natural "cherry" stain.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-24-05, 03:10 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
White Birch "Clear" without the natural streaks and applying a stain. Birch has somewhat of the same graining structures as Cherry and it's also considered a closed grain wood.

Old 02-24-05, 03:13 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I would also recommend you go with a different companies stain that has more pigment in it, like Pratt Lambert. Look at their site for store locations near you. You can use Minwax Pre Conditioner just before you stain, so it will help eleviate any blotching. You will still get some, but it won't be nearly as bad as if you just stained it straight. I would also sand it up to 220. The more you close the grain the less the stain will soak in, but I wouldn't go higher than 220. If you close the grain too much, then the stain won't adhere properly. If you're looking for that Burgandy Cherry color, I would go with "Cherry Bark" by Pratt Lambert

Old 02-25-05, 09:50 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greenlincoln
I am in the process if making cabinet doors (with glass inserts). I've already re-faced the cabinet carcasses with figured Makore (African cherry). My intention was to do the doors in solid cherry, but being the newbie that I am, I had no idea how costly even just 1X3s are ($5/linear ft.).
You need to find a real hardwood lumber dealer. I bought some 4/4 cherry about 3 months ago and the price for kiln-dried select and better cherry was just under $8/bd ft (you have a price of $20/bd ft). You may have to get roughcut lumber, but you can usually find a local cabinet shop that will plane it for you at a small charge.

Try checking out www.sawmillcreek.org about 2 or 3 months ago, there was a thread on which lumber dealer in the Seattle area was the best to work with. I didn't pay much attention, because I'm an east coaster, but I remember the company would ship wood directly to you as well.

It might be a little more hassle, but if you had your heart set on cherry, you may decide it is worth the while.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-05, 10:27 AM
greenlincoln,

Below ia a link to a website called woodfinder.com. It's a search engine that you can tell what kind of wood your looking for, and lists the suppiers in your area. You may or may not find a supplier that will give you a better price for the cherry, but it's certainly worth looking into.

Mike has some good ideas with the birch thing, but if you want to look further into getting a better price for the cherry first, give it a try..

http://www.woodfinder.com/

Old 02-25-05, 10:50 PM
greenlincoln
Visiting Guest
Found the Cherrywood I Needed at a GREAT Price

Another DIY board member directed me to www.woodworkerssource.net. This is a sawmill in Arizona; I got my cherrywood (which is on sale right now) 20 BF at $100. They will cut them to my specified length to save on shipping, which was only $16 UPS ground. Can't beat that with a stick! Not even a cherrywood stick! This company guarantees you like what you get or they will arrange for pickup and send you more. The boards I purchased are 4/4 2S2.

Anyone made glass cabinet doors? I don't want to use plain clear glass as my cabinets don't look like House & Garden magazine with perfect little stacks of color-coordinated dishes. Would it be better to use some type of wavy/waffle/etched glass or ??? Don't suggest Lexan, I think it looks well, tacky.

Thanks for all the great info and help. This site ROCKS!

Last edited by greenlincoln; 02-25-05 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-26-05, 10:00 AM
Aw, come on. The contents of your cabinets don't look like the ones in the magazines? I thought everybody's did.

Rockler now sells textured glass in a variety of patterns. You can order it in any specified size. I used it for a wine rack/cabinet for one of my customers, and they loved it. It sells for about .10 per square inch, plus shipping, of coarse.

Link below!

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...rative%20glass

Old 02-26-05, 12:41 PM
greenlincoln
Visiting Guest
Thanks Herm!!!

Thanks for the link!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: