T&G ceiling Install

Old 02-25-05, 04:33 PM
luvthewater
Visiting Guest
T&G ceiling Install

I am installing 1/2" X 4" T&G on a ceiling.The room is 16' long by 14' wide. The t&g will run long ways. The board lengths are 10', 12' and 14'. My question is how do decide where the joints will be. Is there a "pro's method" for making the joints random. It may sound like a dumb question but I dont have the knack of random pattern making. Thanks

Old 02-25-05, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It all depends on the quantity of boards you have, and what lengths. Personally, I'd stagger the joints and keep them separated by 1 solid row. For example:

Row 1: 14+2
Row 2: 2+14
Row 3: 12+4
Row 4: 4+12
Row 5: 10+6
Row 6: 6+10
Row 7: same as the first.

This repeating pattern would use 2 14's, 4 12's and 2 10's. This is assuming ceiling joists on 2' centers.

My advice would be to draw it out on a piece of graph paper and see what it looks like. If you like it, or come up with a better pattern, that's all that matters!

Old 02-26-05, 11:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
another way would be to start with a 10 than add 1/2 of a 12 and start the new row with the remaining 1/2 of the 12 and fill in the second row by cutting a 14 and starting the third row with the remainder of the 14 plus a 12. always cutting so as to leave the cut edge by the wall.If you did that 14 times or so it might come out good.

I think

Since you won't be making more than 1 cut per piece you won't be losing much in the length and you will probably need to cut some waste for expansion at the ends. Plan for any lights or vents or whatever

Old 02-26-05, 05:16 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
You would do a ceiling the same way as you'd do a floor, you want the seam from one row to the next to be at least 6-8" away from the other.

Nail the boards perpendicular to the joists, that way you can nail it on center and not have to worry about adhesion problems.

You will need to face nail the first few and the last few rows. Other than that, you can nail it through the tounge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: