Can I use a Angle grinder for under cutting trim?

Old 03-02-05, 11:55 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Can I use a Angle grinder for under cutting trim?

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and my wife and I recently purchased a house in november. We want to put down some bamboo flooring and I was wondering if I could use a angle grinder to undercut the existing trim work in the house. I was wondering if there was a blade attachment that might help me do this. I know that there a special saw I cold buy for this but since I do not do this for a living I was wondering if I could buy a angle grinder and find may by a saw blade for this. I figure that there is more of a chance of me using a angle grinder in my future then that specialty tool. Any advice? I have a lot of trim to undercut so I would rather not do it by hand.

Thanks everyone,
Dharma
in pelham NH

Last edited by dharmalism; 03-02-05 at 11:57 AM. Reason: type o
Old 03-02-05, 12:33 PM
B
Are you saying that you want to cut all the base moulding in the room so that you can fit the new floor under it? The "standard" procedure is to just carefully pull it off and then re-install it over the new flooring. The only thing you should have to cut are possibly the doors and door frame/moulding.

Remove the doors and use a circular saw or handsaw on these and for the door frames, Lowes and HD sell a small saw like a gent's saw that has an offset handle so you can lay it down and saw without tearing your hand up. Just set it on a scrap piece of the new flooring and cut the moulding.

Old 03-02-05, 01:42 PM
The inside corners are going to be a bear to trim. I agree with trimming the door jambs. Then use shoe to cover the gap between the floor and baseboard.

Old 03-02-05, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 723 Posts
I don't believe an angle grinder will allow you to get close enough to the floor to do what you want. But then again, I'm thinking of my angle grinder- maybe yours is different. On mine, there is no way to hold it level enough to do what you suggest. (all the cuts would be angled)

In answer to your question, I've seen small saw blades that fit a Makita cordless saw, but I'm not sure they are made for grinders. Dewalt has 5 3/8 blades for their cordless saws, but I doubt they are made to fit on a grinder either. The problem with the grinder is that you have nothing to control the depth of the cut.

My advice would be either to rent the proper saw, or buy a used one off of ebay, use it, then turn around and sell it on ebay again. No matter what you pay for it, you will likely be able to resell it for about the same amount!

Old 03-02-05, 02:57 PM
D
thanks for everyone's advice. I did put in a hardwood floor once before and I did pull off the base trim but it was a mess on the walls and the trim. I was just wondering if there was a cleaner way that is all. I will be more careful and pull off the base boards then. Thank you everyone! This site is great!

Sincerely,
Dharma

Old 03-02-05, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
An angle grinder would be a dangerous tool if it had a saw blade in it.
There would be no way to keep it under control and the blade would not be properly guarded.

Old 03-03-05, 06:12 AM
B
Originally Posted by dharmalism
thanks for everyone's advice. I did put in a hardwood floor once before and I did pull off the base trim but it was a mess on the walls and the trim. I was just wondering if there was a cleaner way that is all. I will be more careful and pull off the base boards then. Thank you everyone! This site is great!

Sincerely,
Dharma
What I would do is if you have a lot of paint on the baseboards, take a utility knife and run it along the top of the moulding. That should keep the baseboard from sticking to the drywall and tearing the paper up. Then start by using a putty knife to work behind the moulding and loosen it up. Once you get it far enough from the wall, you can use a small pry bar to pull the moulding off - you may have to put the blade of putty knife between the prybar and the wall to keep from denting the drywall up.

Once the moulding is off, it is usually cleaner to pull any remaining nails out through the back of the moulding and just fill the hole with a little plastic wood or caulk and then a little touch up paint and they are ready to go back on the walls.

Good Luck.

Old 03-03-05, 08:39 PM
D
thanks for the advice!

Dharma

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: