Have protruding brick fireplace and want wood mantle

Old 03-09-05, 08:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have protruding brick fireplace and want wood mantle

I have a brick fireplace and want to cover it with wood. I am unable to find a pre-made mantle to cover it and think I need to build it custom. I am just wondering what would be the best way to attach the wood to the brick?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-05, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
You might want to check into your local codes. Fire codes prevent many finish carpenters from installing wood within a certain distance from fireplaces. The exact amount varies from place to place.

Regarding your mantle, you might consider drilling holes in the brick to accept 5/8" rebar, which will need to be driven into place with a 5 lb hammer (without breaking the bricks). Corresponding holes in the mantle would allow the mantle to slip over the rebar, and the beefy rebar will help hold the weight of the mantle without sagging. Depending on how large you drill your holes in the mantle, and how well everything lines up, the mantle should fit quite snug once it's been persuaded into place.

Old 03-13-05, 08:50 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Here is a mantel I made for my girlfriend.

I don't have all of the pics posted, but I can work on it, if you want to see the final results.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/creati.../ph//my_photos

I made the columns with only a front and two sides. The back was left open.

I then measured the inside width, minus 1/8" and cut a piece of wood that size by 1/2" less than the height opening.

I then took that piece of wood, drilled 3/16" holes in it, 2 of them on each piece. "Right and left"

I then held it up to the brick where I marked my lines of where it needs to sit. I then took my hammer drill with a masonary bit and drilled the holes to accept mollys. I then used Tapcons to screw the piece of wood to the brick.

The mantel columns slide over the pieces of wood screwed to the brick and then popped a few pin nails through the sides of the columns into the pieces of wood screwed to the brick.

The final result has a paint and glaze finish. I had the glaze color mixed up as the exact wall color she has, so it ties the two together.

I Also painted her 1970's brick white.

Old 03-18-05, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Nice job, Sawdustguy. Looks sweet!

Old 03-18-05, 11:30 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Thanks,

I'm recovering from Nasal Surgery, so when I'm feeling up to it, I'll post final, installed, finished pics.

The whole mantel was easy :for me: but for a DIY'er, it would take some "doing" Especially with the arch.

Old 03-24-05, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hope you're feeling better!