Moulding and Brad Nailers

Old 03-10-05, 07:32 AM
DJTrev
Visiting Guest
Moulding and Brad Nailers

I am adding wainscoating, baseboard, cap rail and crown moulding to my dining room. I plan on using consrtuction adhesive and my brad nailer to attach the moulding and panels to the walls. Will this be ok? Should I worry about the brad nail splitting the moulding when I install it?

Thanks!

Trev

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nah.

When I use it, I have more problems in areas where the nail doesn't quite make it through the wood and I have to try and set the nail stickingout an 8th or 16th of an inch.
You should be good to go.

Old 03-10-05, 08:54 AM
J
brad nailer will work. If the nails are only 1 1/4 that is probably not ok imo. There are cheap brad nailers at Harbor freight tools that are more than good enough for the homeowner. If you have a small compressor try not to go too fast as this will produce protruding nails that are difficult to set. They are meant to be set with the nailgun and will likely bend when a nail set is used.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46309.

A very good deal. If it has a safety trigger. If not

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=54461

Old 03-11-05, 05:51 PM
My brad nailers all shoot 18 gauge nails which are too small for ordinary door and window trim. I've seen DIY's use 18 gauge nails for trim, and the trim does not fall off the wall, lol. But I can sometimes grasp the trim with my bare hand and pull it off.

A 15 gauge finish nail (not used in brad nailers) sounds more suitable to me, if your work is similar to door and window trim installation. I mention this because there are a wide variety of of wainscoating appearences and it could be that you are merely attached very thin moulding to a solid wood surface (not drywall). In that case, a brad nail may indeed be the right nail for the job.

It depends on the moulding size and the material your nailing into, i.e. drywall/stud verses wood panels. Either way, the brad will hold it up, but you might want or need the stronger finish nail for a lasting strong bond.

A good example is baseboard, chair rail and crown. I would never use 18 gauge brads for these. If the moulding is at least 1" wide (and they usually are wider) , it will not spit with finish nails. If for some reason I had to use brads, I would roughly use twice as many as needed, i.e. 4 nails every 8 to 12" instead of 2.

If you have to close a gap in the crown moulding, (which happens due to the nature of crown and non straight walls and corners) you may very well fine that the brad simply won't hold the gap closed.

Hmmm, I linger... in summary, a 15 gauge nail is the suitable nail for finish carpentry.