Cedar Countertop - How to.

Old 04-22-05, 01:20 PM
Scott38
Visiting Guest
Cedar Countertop - How to.

Hi, I want to make a island out of cedar. I designed it to be bomb proof. I'd like to make the top out of 44inch long cedar 2X4's. Is this possible? I've come up with one seeming easy way of accomplishing this involving screws and wood glue. Any thoughts? and what should I do about finishing it. I don't like shiny varnish. Thanks Scott

Old 04-24-05, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An island counter top out of cedar, hmmm. My thoughts are that it is too soft a wood for a counter top.

Old 05-09-05, 07:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't offer you any information but I'd like to know if you've actually built the countertop. I was thinking of making a really cheap kitchen countertop out of doug fir, but the cedar sounds much nicer. When I've asked anyone the first thing they always say is "too soft", and I'm sure that's true but what does that mean realistically. Will putting a pot down on the countertop dent it, or do you have to drop a cast iron skillet from four feet up to make a mark? And would such a mark be bad, after all some people antique table tops by hitting them with chains!

If you've built it would you share your method for joining the wood with screws and glue...I was thinking of running all-thread though the strips, with countersunk holes on each side to hit the nuts. And how will you get the top flat and smooth?

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: