Kitchen Cabinets with Center Divider

Old 05-04-05, 04:36 PM
hgrays
Visiting Guest
Question Kitchen Cabinets with Center Divider

I have a center kitchen island with two lower cabinets and each cabinet space having two openings (two doors). In between each door is a center divider which is part of the face frame. Each door opening is roughly 13 in. and the center divider is about 2 to 3 inches. This would making the whole opening a little under 30 inches. My question is whether this center divider can be removed to make the entire opening accessible. The plan is to add pull-out trays to these cabinets, but with the center divider, the trays are quite small and leave a lot of wasted cabinet space. I understand that it's possible (and probably likely) these center dividers are structural and therefore would compromise the structural integrity of the cabinet itself. Are there ways around this though? Could you brace it to add strength back to the opening without impeding a sliding tray?

Any ideas?

Old 05-08-05, 07:02 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cabinets that have no center stile usually have butt doors (doors that come together). With standard overlay doors, you will be able to see the center stile between the doors. If stile is removed doors will have the 3" gap. Thus, you would be limited to ordering pull out trays for each side of the cabinet.

If you have full-overlay doors that cover the entire face frame and come together perfectly and cover the center stile, then it would be possible to remove the stile without sacrificing structural integrity.

Trays are ordered based on the size of the cabinet. They come with mounting brackets. Take a measurement of the width of your cabinet to your local kitchen dealer to order the trays.

Old 05-09-05, 10:43 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ive done what you're wanting to do..on base cabinets against the wall. The doors are full/butt doors that closed against the stiles.. so it was easy to remove the stile.
I removed the permanent shelves and made roll-out shelves on sliders to custom fit the new opening. Great space addition.
You should be able to accomplish what you want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: