wood repair/stain

Old 12-05-99, 08:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

i moved into a older home and the wood door had a gouge in it.I filled it with wood filler,sanded,making sure all was clean.Now I cannot get a stain to take to the wood? Its a inside door,I leave it on for the proper amount of time,but will not soak in.Have even tried 3 diffrent types thinking was a bad stain.....HELP

Old 12-06-99, 09:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Are you trying to restain the entire door? Did you strip it first? The door will have a protective coating on it that needs to be sanded off. This top coat is either shellac or polyurethane. New stain (nor paint) will not adhere to either.

Old 12-07-99, 11:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks for the reply.I am just trying to redo the area i patched.

Old 12-08-99, 01:53 AM
Visiting Guest
If you sanded the woodfiller too smooth, the stain won't have anything to stick to. I would try about 150 grit paper and scuff the area to be stained. This will give the surface some "pores" to get into. I sometimes use a heat gun or blowdryer(carefully since the stain may be flamable) to speed up the drying process. Apply any finish coats of varnish or sealer carefully since they tend to "melt" the stain, even if it is dry, and lighten it. Another trick to try when you need to get a darker tone of stain is to pour off some of the stain off the top of an UNSTIRRED can and use a little dab of the thicker stuff off the bottom. It has more concentrated pigments which may be just what you need to get your patch to blend in. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: