staining baby furniture

Old 12-28-99, 01:53 PM
Visiting Guest

I am making a baby crib. I want to seal the wood with paste wax. My wife thinks this is not safe for the baby. Any suggestions on what to seal the wood with.

Old 12-28-99, 05:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Seal the crib with tung oil. It's what I suggest for wooden kitchen counters and other wooden food preparation areas. It's durable, easily applied and repaired (if need be), and non-toxic after drying.

------------------
George T.

Old 12-29-99, 01:17 AM
Visiting Guest
To add a few comments...
Beeswax is basically an "animal" wax while carnauba and candelilla are "vegetable" waxes. They are all rather harmless by themselves, but are often mixed with other chemicals to make the application easier. I would read the ingredients on the wax containers when making a choice of wax, if you decide to go this way. I would feel comfortable using a good beeswax product being sure to let it cure well. I would think if baby got to teething on the crib, the stain that is under the seal coat, whether it is tung oil or wax, would be as much or more of a concern. Be sure to let any and all finishes cure out well before putting the little one in the crib, and be sure to provide a pacifier so the wittle wascal doesn't chew on your handiwork :-)

Old 01-04-00, 07:41 AM
Visiting Guest
According to our esteemed government, any of the finishes are safe once they have fully cured.

Go ahead and stain/dye the crib. Then cover with polyurethane, giving a day or so between coats. Thousands and thousands of babies have survived poly, tung oil, etc finishes.

If you (or your wife) is still skeptical try a 'sald bowl' finish. The name of the manufacturere escapes me now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: