Compound/Complex Mitre

Old 02-03-00, 11:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Is a compound/complex mitre the same? I substitute at a local high school. A student asked me if I could make s complex mitre cut. He was working on a gun cabinet. Anyone have an answer I can give or a reference site I can go to? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-00, 11:54 PM
Visiting Guest
I believe that 'complex' and 'compound' are the same. I have sometimes heard the term complex applied to a compound miter saw. A miter saw cuts up to (and normally a little beyond) 45 degrees about a vertical axis (usually to both left and right)thus allowing cuts to be made horizontally across the wood at various angles. A compound miter saw will ALSO cut up to (and a little beyond) 45 degrees about a horizontal axis thus allowing cuts to be made at varying vertical angles. By manipulating the angle of the blade about both axes a "compound" cut can be made. Thus a piece of wood may be cut at an angle to both vertical and horizontal plains at the same time. Hope this explains it simply enough!

------------------
Steve

Old 02-04-00, 04:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Tom Webb:
yes, they are the same. It is a cut that is made both up and down and at an angle at the same time. For instance a cut that is made at a 45 degree angle both horizontially and vertically at the same time. You must have a compound mitre saw to make this cut.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 02-05-00, 09:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Thom,
You might find that your student has a psychological challenge when it comes to making those cuts... I would have to say that you would call THAT a "miter complex"
:-)