How do I hide the screws?

Old 05-09-05, 04:28 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How do I hide the screws?

Hello DIYers,

I have a table whose leg had a crack and about to snap so I drilled a hole and put the screws inside. It worked perfectly, but the end of the screws are visible. My question is how do I cover the metal part with something similar to wood, so scres won't be visible?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-05, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
You have a couple options. They make fake woodgrain stickers that are round. This is a really cheesy way to do it.

A better way is to countersink the screw into the wood and cover it with a wood plug. To do this, you probably need to remove the screw, drill a hole 3/8" deep with a 3/8" drill bit. (best done on a drill press, but if done by hand, drill slowly or else you'll drill 3/4" deep before you know it) Then purchase a small bag of 3/8" wood plugs (cheap). They come in 3 styles- flush, rounded, or button. Flush would be the least obvious, for something you are trying to hide.

You could also buy some wood dough or wood putty and putty over the screw. If you buy a type that is stainable, that might also hide your screws, provided they have been countersunk below the surface of the wood.

Old 05-26-05, 09:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
probably too late for this, but i had a similar problem with the back of a chair we got at a garage sale. the original owner had tried to glue the broken pieces together. when that started to fail, he used a zip-tie to hold things together.

took it apart, cleaned off the old glue, and countersunk two screws into each piece. used a dowel in the hole and cut and sanded it flush. sounds like a flush-mounted plug would have been easier to buy, but hey, i'm no carpenter. i've got a desk job.